Seeing HIM

I can remember clear as day the first time i set eyes on him in 10 years, his father had just finished telling me how over dressed i was to be spending time on a ranch. I was mortified because i had picked out the most casual summer dress i had in my wardrobe, it was the simplest piece that i had packed with me to come to this god forsaken place.

"Well i think she looks very pretty if i do say so myself" he said as he was walking into the living room with a glass of lemonade, sipping it while he leaned against the door way eyeing me. I couldn't help but blush at his compliment and the way he was looking at me.

"Thank you" i said while lowering my eyes pretending to be concentrating on picking a loose strand off of my dress"

"Dont even think about it, not only is she my best friends daughter but she's also going to be helping out here on the ranch for the summer" i couldnt help the scowl that came onto my face. Mr.Roberts helped kickstart my dads business by being a silent benefactor, my dads business took off and it turned into a win win for everyone. But in order for me to learn to take over the company for him one day he's making me work my way up the ladder just like he had to, starting with working on the same ranch he did all those years ago.

"Considering your business has nothing to do with working on a ranch i still don't understand why i need to do it" my voice starting to take on a whining sound that i cant keep down. Spending the summer after graduation shoveling cow poop instead of hanging out with my friends before we all went our separate ways for college was not at all how i envisioned this time.

"Brielle" my father gives me a looks that tells me we are not going to start this argument again, i cant help but slump in my seat. As my father and Mr. Roberts continue their conversation my eyes cant help but meet his hazel ones, his gaze is intense making me want to look away, so instead my eyes make a downward path taking him in. He's dressed in a flannel shirt thats rolled at the elbows, his jeans tight around muscular thighs, his cowboy boots peaking out from under his jeans, he doesn't have them tucked in like they wear them on tv. Looking back up at him his gaze hasn't wavered from my face, still taking me in, he changed. He's at least six foot now and he's filled out very nicely working on the ranch has helped him develop muscles that are building under his top.

"Okay Brielle" I tear my gaze away from HIM to focus on my father "im leaving you in the roberts care and i expect you to do as he says and try your hardest, i will be up here every couple of weeks to check in on you and spend some time with you" he says coming over and enveloping me in a bear hug, i tuck my head into his chest inhaling his armani cologne, I'm going to miss him.

"Okay ill try, I'm going to miss you" i say peeking up at him giving him my puppy dog eyes, one last ditch effort to get him to take me with him.

"Nice try, its not happening" he says as he kisses my forehead before releasing me. "Bye baby girl i love you"

"Bye daddy i love you too" i say as i walk behind him, watching him climb into the car and drive off the long drive, dirt and rocks kicking up behind him leaving a small dust cloud in his wake. Mr. Roberts puts his arm around my shoulders drawing me into his side, he smells of the outdoors, the same smell i associated with him for as long as I've known him.

"You'll do fine kiddo, you used to love coming here and spending the summer with us, getting to play with all the animals and get all dirty" he laughs at the memories,i can only give a small smile back, I've changed so much. Im not the little girl who would relish coming to the ranch in the summer because i was finally free to be a child, running around and getting filthy, a drastic change from having to be clean and proper all of the time.

Turning i come face to face with him, his gaze so intense it makes me squirm in my spot, its never been awkward between us, whats happened?

"Brielle" his voice husky as he tips his lemonade glass towards me with a slight nod of his head

"Kwentyn" my voice weak in response to his.