The Way It Happened

It took Batman three days to hang Nightwing's suit in a glass case. Like a trophy, it stood next to Jason's, gathering dust. The suit hadn't even been cleaned before it was displayed. Every tear, burn, and gash in full view for anyone to see. The dried blood, just now starting to flake off and flutter to the ground, made the suit look...almost saddening. Eerie. It was in such a bad condition, that any person could approach and know that whoever wore it suffered before death. It was a constant reminder to "the one they couldn't save," because there will always be one of those, won't there?

It took Batman four days to display Nightwing's hologram in the Mountain, once again, standing tall beside Jason's. Everyone was surprised by how quickly it appeared. It was almost like Batman already had one ready to go. It wouldn't be all that surprising if he did. The photo they used was a solomn one, taken not long after Jason's death. Taken during another sad time in Dick's life. In the picture, Nightwing's hands were rested on his hips, and his head was tilted down, almost like he'd been given bad news. His face held a small frown, not one meant for sadness or confusion, but one of deep disappointment. It's an unusual choice to display, but a fitting one nonetheless. In fact, if Nightwing were still here, he'd probably be making that exact face.

It took Batman seven days to bury another soldier. Another funeral. With a coffin, once again, engraved with a familiar symbol. Another funeral with 'Amazing Grace' echoing from the bagpipes and bouncing through the streets. It was nice and everyone attended. The Titans, Superman, The Team, even Constantine. Everyone showed up. Everyone except Batman. Instead, Batman had been off playing cat and mouse with Joker.

It took Bruce seven days to bury Dick. To bury another son. Seven days to lower one more sleek, ebony coffin to the ground. How many was it going to take? How many must be laid to rest for the sake of one mission? How many lies with unspoken consequences were there going to be?

It took Dick eight days to infiltrate Spyral, and Agent 37 nine months to leave.

It took Dick nine months to make the first entry, and one month to make his last.

Hey everyone, I'm alive. So I thought up this story while at Basic, so I may go back and edit this prologue a bit later on. Anyway, I wanted to get something out, so enjoy and let me know what you think.

Also, this will be based off a true story my Captain told me about his friend. I'll tell that story later on, so please, continue reading. If not for me, than for the story that needs to be told.

Til next time,

Rachel