eleven - "fart on the food"

Start from the beginning

I reach the check out and place all of my bottles on the belt as I wait to be served. Once the old couple in front of me have paid for their stuff, the person on checkout smiles over at me before glancing down at the scary amount of alcohol I had piled up waiting for her to scan.

"Do you have ID?" He politely asks and I nod, flashing my ID to him and he nods after a moment of scanning over it, and starts scanning the bottles carefully.

I fill up three bags with alcohol bottles and cans and sit them at the end of the check out desk, pulling out my purse.

"That comes to one hundred and ninety four pounds," the cashier says, handing me the monitor to put my card in. Once my mum got ahold of all the stuff I'd bought, I was a goner.

I didn't care, though. Alcohol was the only thing that would help me forget about my shitty friends and my shitty roommate for the time-being.

I type in my pin and the money goes through as the words payment authorised flash on the screen. I pull out my credit card and hand the monitor back before stuffing my purse back in my jacket pocket and grabbing the three bags full of alcohol and making my way out of the supermarket.

I didn't know where to go. I knew full well Brad was still at the dorm and I didn't feel like seeing him after our argument this morning. It would just result in more shouting and I was too exhausted to fight with him.

My legs end up guiding me to the same park Thomas and I played football together on. I don't know why I came here, especially considering it only reminded me of Thomas, and Thomas was an arsehole who didn't deserve me, nor Britt.

Britt had tried ringing me while I've been out, but I just blocked her number so she wouldn't be blowing up my phone with texts I was never going to reply to. I felt betrayed that she'd get with Thomas after she knew my feelings towards him and he body shamed me. She was meant to stick by my side always. She was meant to be my ride or die.

Sighing, I sit on a bench and open a can of cider. It didn't take me long before I had drank all four of them and I felt more than buzzed. I got weird looks from passers-by and a mother even went to the extreme of grabbing her son and moving him away from me. I wasn't surprised, I looked like an alcoholic.

I started drinking at a young age, since it was a coping mechanism for me. When I was eleven, my dad died. He wasn't a criminal, in fact he was quite the opposite. He was a hero in many people's eyes, always risking his life to save other's.

My dad was a firefighter and had been for as long as I could remember. As well as saving people's life's, he also helped stop my mum and I from arguing all the time. My mum was an irritating bitch half the time but I knew she meant well, but I was young and all I did was argue over everything.

This one time, when my parents were dropping me off at Britt's party and I wasn't feeling well. I had a really bad cold and I didn't want to go even though it was my best friend's party.

"Margo, don't be like this," my mum scolded me from the passenger seat as she turned to face me. My brother was sat next to me, engrossed on his gameboy. "Get Britt's card and present and go in her house."

I glanced over to her, my arms folded and a pout on my lips. I have always been stubborn, even when I was at the young age of six.

"Margo Elizabeth Heart," my mum's tone was low. "If you don't get yourself out of this car then I will drag you out, do you hear me?"

After moments of me sitting in silence, looking out of the window, she let out a sigh of defeat and unbuckled her seat belt, climbing out of the car. I didn't want to go in to a house full of screaming children that would make fun of me for being fat and for having puffier hair than them.

I locked my door quickly as she reached my door, trying to open it with the handle and I gave her a triumphant smile as I sat smugly in my seat. At this point, my dad was watching in disappointment.

My mum quickly moved round to my brother's car door and I reached over to lock that one too but my brother whacked my arm away from him with a scowl.

"Now you've made me lose on my game!" He whined and I moved away quickly as my mum opened the door and grabbed my arm, pulling me out of my seat. I started screaming from my seat as she tugged on me.

My dad sighed and unbuckled his seat belt, turning around to look at us, "girls, girls, girls. Stop fighting now."

"She needs to go to this party," my mum dropped my arm as a sign of defeat. "She did this last year, too. Britt was so upset!"

My dad got out of the car and turned to my door. Cautiously, I unlocked it and he unbuckled my seat belt too, helping me out of the car.

"Go to the party," my dad sighed softly, handing me Britt's present and card that he had bought. "Have a nice time."

"Kids are mean, daddy," I pouted as I took the presents. "They make fun of me because I'm different."

"If they say anything rude to you," he paused, a smile growing on his face. It was contagious and I started smiling. "Fart on the food."

I sigh at the fond memory, pouring the last of my beer down my throat as I wipe away my tears. Sometimes I missed my dad so much, he truly was my rock.

I get the last bag of alcohol as the sky starts to darken and stumble my way out of the park. People were leaving work and shops were closing so I had no choice but to go back to my dorm, especially since curfew would be soon.

When I get to campus, people are walking to another party but I make my way up to my dorm, and my prayers are answered as Brad isn't here.

I take this time to relax and strip in the bathroom, locking the door and run myself a bath. I fill it with bubbles and sick into the hot water as I scrunch my nose at the bitter taste of vodka running down my throat, burning everything in its path.

Afterwards, I dry myself and I feel myself drifting off into sleep, sat on the bathroom floor wearing nothing but a towel. I was so exhausted from everything that had happened in the past twenty four hours and the alcohol was wearing off.

I just wanted to sleep. And that's I did.

unedited.