Chapter Eight

The room I woke in was small but clean, a perfect square with no windows and only one door. It would have felt like a cell, except for the decadent furniture. Auburn and plum shades of silk curtains clung to the walls, interspersed with candle sconces. A thick, lushly appointed mattress sank into the teak floor in one corner. In the other, a tile sink beckoned. I stretched and rose to my feet.

The only sign Julian had been there at all was his duffle bag, bulging with implements of death and staring at me from another corner of the room.

I washed my hands and face, then, anxious to find Julian, slipped on the sandals someone had lined up neatly along the wall. I chuckled softly to myself that even in a state of emergency, Julian was tidy. As I reached for the door, someone knocked from the other side. I opened it and peeked out.

A young blond woman with wide green eyes and a quick smile stood in the hallway. She didn't seem surprised to see me, and showed herself into the room carrying a bundle of clothes and towels.

"Hi, I'm Dawn." Her voice held a warm, gentle twang, and I couldn't help smiling back at her. "I brought you some fresh clothes and some towels and things. It's Alex, right?"

"Right." I shook her offered hand and then nodded at the pile of clothes. "Thank you."

She smiled wider, bouncing on her toes. "Oh, sure. I'm right down the hall, if you need anything else."

"Um, do you know where the guy I came with is?"

"Julian? Of course." She winked, though it seemed like an unconscious gesture, and I liked her more for it. "He left about an hour ago. Said to tell you he'd be back later."

"Thanks." I frowned. I'd heard that line before. Would Julian really just leave me, after assuring me he wouldn't? I wanted to think not, and yet here I was: waiting for a guy I barely knew, with no idea where here was.

"Don't worry, hon." Dawn patted me on the shoulder. "He'll be back. Julian keeps his word."

I nodded, giving her a reflexive smile. So far, I had been selling Julian short, letting my issues and past color my opinion of him. Maybe he really was coming back. "Thanks for the clothes. I really would love a shower."

"You betcha. The bathroom is two doors down on the left. Make yourself at home." Dawn waved as she backed out of the room.

I picked up the bundle she'd brought and followed her out. I couldn't tell if I was in a really nice hotel or some sort of high-end institution. Was this what they called a safe house? Everything was nice, earthy with a touch of luxury. But there were no windows. My instincts told me we were underground, but I had no sense of direction. I found the bathroom where Dawn had promised.

I slid thankfully into a hot shower and washed away the toil of the past day and a half with expensive fragrant soap. My body was pain free, and the slash of bruises across my chest from the car accident had pretty much vanished. It felt strange, with the wreck and battle of the night before so fresh in my memory. I could still re-live the pain, like a phantom of what it should be...I just didn't feel it anymore.

I wiped the mirror when I got out and stared at my reflection. Other than a little tired, I looked normal. It felt wrong, like an illusion. On the inside, I was battered and completely worn out. Exhausted. Bereft. But the girl staring back at me was just the image of calm.

"Go figure," I muttered as I combed out my hair.

Women's clothing — what a novelty! I pulled on a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt that were used, but clean, and much closer to my size. I bundled Julian's borrowed sweats into a tight ball, but kept the sandals. The hallway was empty and quiet as I slinked back to my room, and I decided the next thing on the agenda was some exploring. Getting clean and dressed had lightened my mood considerably. Plus, I didn't want to be sitting around waiting for Julian to show up — I'd been that girl too many times before. Time to get proactive.