stay

CHAPTER 5
STAY

LAST

Jeong Guk once said he was scared he disappointed his father and he asked if I was disappointed in him too. Maybe he meant something other than the words he said, and though I never really thought about it, I was suddenly reminded of it. Even now I still didn't know the answer, nor could I remember the one I'd given him.

"Why do you like change?" Jeong Guk asked.

We laid opposite each other, my eyes leveled with his lips, and his mine. He laid on his stomach - his face hovered over mine upside down as he brushed a hand across my cheek. He looked at me with a blank gaze, and smiled. He smiled but with the words he'd just told me, He wasn't happy. I laid on my back, legs dangling from the bed, and he leaned down and brushed his lips over mine. His nose bumped gently my chin, and the heat his palms warmed my cheeks as I closed my eyes, but he pressed no further. Instead he breathed softly, his lips glided against mine like warm silk, slow and light, then like a petal being torn from its stem he broke away.

"Change?" I said. "It's not like I like change. I just, ...mmm. Deal with it? Whether it be good or bad, you just... deal with it. Don't you?"

He traced lines on my cheek, his soft skin lingered and begged me to remember the feel and tingle of his touch. His eyes glinted brightly. Even in the dark room I could see that. The pale morning light cracked through the curtains and painted a streak across his face, and he scrunched his nose when the light reached his eyes.

Jeong Guk pushed closer against me, his heat burned, though this time I didn't say anything. He wrapped his arms around my waist, and rested his head on my shoulder. "Do you think-? If I were to ask you... to ask you out, do you think you'd say yes." Jeong Guk's arms tighten.

The street light continued to flicker its white light, on and off, and on and off, and crickets chirped their melodies. The night was thick and humid, but my mind for the first time in a while was clear. If I knew anything, I knew the feelings I felt for Jeong Guk, I'd never felt before. I didn't want to lose it, because even if indescribable, they somehow meant everything.

"Well..." I cleared my throat. "I guess I'd say... yes." I tried to look at him, but he dug his face deeper into my shoulder, and released a heavy breath.

"And if I were to ask you to be my boyfriend... just for two days, would you say yes?"

"Why two days?" I grabbed Jeong Guk by the shoulders and pulled him away; I looked for his eyes but couldn't find them. I held him tighter.

"Jeong Guk..."

He looked at me, eyes glossed over and in them I saw myself and a million of his worries. "My dad wants me to go back." He whispered.

"Is that why he's here?" Jeong Guk nodded. His fingers clutched at my shirt as he sighed, and then, the cricket noises died, and the flickering light blew, and so we stood in the darkness and silence of the street.

Jeong Guk kicked lightly against the headboard, and rocked us back and forth in bed. He kissed my cheek then my nose, then my other cheek, and there was a fluttering in my stomach and a hardness in my chest, that felt too real to be consider a good feeling. Jeong Guk leaned down and pressed his lips to mine, too light to be a kiss. His dark hair tickled my neck as he drew closer, and then caught my lip between his teeth pulling on it with a smirk.

"How much longer until you leave?"

Jeong Guk smiled, leaned down, and kissed me again. "From last night to now I'd say... a little less than 48 hours." He frowned, but I grabbed him by the sides of face and closed the little distance between us. His lips soft against mine, they lingered as he pulled away, the pressed back again. The warm pads of his fingers pressed against my cheeks, and he breathed gently against my lips, licking my lip where he'd only bit before-