Chp 15. Roadtrip!

Sorry the novel disappeared for a little while, I needed to hide it for a bit. I'd found out  when you googled my name it was literally the first thing that came up- not my facebook, webcomic, twitter, ANY of the dozens of things that also had my name.  But I stripped my profile and everything should be okay now. Super close to the end, guys! :)

Ryan

"...That's your plan?" Adam asked.

Ryan scrubbed a hand through his hair, feeling his shoulders tense another fraction. Shane had left them alone to say their goodbyes while he prepped for the trip, but Ryan's goodbye was less than pleasant so far. He was fucking tired of arguing-- tired of everything-- "And what, you've got a better one?"

"And you really think Shane's just gonna to let you perform an exorcism on him?" Kelsey raised a brow.

"An exorcism that you've never actually even performed before?" Andrew added.

"And, might I add, an exorcism that's just words you found on the fuckin' internet?" Jen finished off, and somehow they all gave him the same narrow-eyed look.

"Oh my fucking god, guys. Knock it off. This is happening, and I have to try. We know we can't stop him as long as he's in here with us- he's way too powerful. But... if I can get him alone? I think I have a chance."

Ryan paused, pressed his lips together, "I can't guarantee he's actually going to let you guys go, but I hope he will. Shane used to be a man of his word. And if I somehow get away with all this... I'll call you. We'll come back. Maybe once Shane's in his right mind, he'll know how to stop the god in the building."

"So many ifs and maybes..." Jen murmured. She gently nudged him with her shoulder, and Ryan laid a hand on her back absently. "I'm worried for you, Ryan."

"Yeah, you can't do this alone." Andrew said. Then, his brows furrowed. "...I'm going to come along with you. Secretly. Maybe you can have an extra element of surprise, if I can get the jump on him."

"We," Adam corrected somberly, "we will come with you."

Ryan shook his head, "No, if there's too many of you, Shane'll notice-"

"Just me and Adam. The girls can go free-"

"Heeeeey, fuck you." Kelsey cut in cheerfully, "I was already planning on staying here. Without Shane, I think I can convince a few more people to join our side when Ryan gets back. I want to stay. Maybe start some mutiny all up in this business."

"Kelsey, that's crazy-"

"No." She crossed her arms over her chest, "I saw the look on Eugene's face. I'm not just going to abandon him and the others in there."

Andrew's expression creased, but Adam interrupted. "So, Kelsey's staying. But we're going. With you."

"You'd do that for me?" Ryan's words were as soft as Adam's. And he hesitated, his gaze flicking between each of them, one at a time. But after all they'd gone through together, he was beginning to read them pretty well, and what he saw was resolute. Unyielding.

He nodded, once.

"Alright."

Paranoid still, he looked around for eyes in the walls before he leant forward, temple brushing Adam's with a murmur. "My car is on the third floor of the parking lot. The spare key's in the tire well. Hide, and fast. I'll try and keep Shane's attention for as long as I can. If you hear us coming too soon, just- run for it, alright?"

If they were hidden well enough, he'd have no idea if they were even there at all. But Ryan already knew he couldn't build a plan that relied on them being there; he was doing this alone. But... even the chance of having assistance made him feel better, somewhat.