Chp 12. Imago

This chapter was getting really long and there was a lot of things going on, so I'm posting the first half this weekend, and I'll finish up the rest of it as soon as I can. :)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Shane knew Ryan was coming, but the minutes inched by in a crawl- Shane knew that he couldn't be that far, so what was taking him this long? Shane was excited-- then antsy... and then just impatient, halfway to pacing in the small room.

The quiet click of the door opening had him shooting to his feet, before he realized it made him seem like a stupid puppy or something. So instead, he slowed himself, and gave Ryan a soft smile.

"Hiya, buddy."

"Hi."

Ryan walked past him without another word, taking a long, slow look around Shane's hideout. Shane followed after, laying a hand on his shoulder to pull him back for a hug. Ryan stiffened under his grip, and Shane let go quickly.

"So. These are my digs." Shane joked, presenting the room with an an idle sweep with his hand. Ryan didn't play along, looking him right in the eye.

"Where are the others? You had others. Your 'zombies' or whatever the fuck you call them," Ryan said.

"They're fine. Out wandering the halls." Shane didn't want them here. Not right now, with Ryan already so on edge. "We can talk about all of that later. Do you need anything? ...Food? Coffee?"

Ryan lit up, just a little. Bingo.

"I'll put some coffee on. The showers on this floor still work- you can clean up. I've got a change of clothes for you, too." Shane clapped his hands once and went to the small kitchenette he'd set up, busying himself with the rote brewing rituals of their daily java.

Ryan watched him, brows furrowing deeper with every word.

"Wow, you just got everything all fucking figured out, don't you?" He said.

Shane felt a tickle of rage writhe up in him, but he forcefully tamped it down.
This was Ryan.

He was used to Ryan.

He liked Ryan.

"I do."

He smiled, and the matching emotion sluggishly followed a beat later. But it was present. He was happy to see Ryan. Everything else was Everett, he told himself, and, that was negligible right now. Had to be.

Ryan watched him for a moment before sighing.

"Fine. Yes. A shower would be nice, 'if' nothing's going to attack me while I'm stark naked."

"No. You're safe. Although wouldn't it be hilarious, you streaking down the halls-" Shane snorted at the thought. "I've designated everyone in this building for their specific purposes. The god's not going to take anyone without my say so. You're safe."

Shane reached for a duffel bag that was laid out on a nearby shelf- a duffel bag that Ryan recognized after a moment.
.
"Here, you can wear these-"

"Wait, these are my fucking clothes-"

"Yeah! I picked up something from your place, just in case."

"My place? How?"

"Well, you left your bag by your desk. Your keys. Although your door was unlocked anyway-" Shane shrugged, "Not exactly safe, Ryan. You're lucky I was the only one taking things."