Chapter One: Origins

Weoo weoo weoo

An eight-year-old girl was laying in an unfamiliar bed, in an unfamiliar city, doing her best to fall asleep. The constant cars driving by, and sirens seemed strange to eight-year-old Wendy Wheel. She was used to living in the country where the only sounds at night were the crickets. But her daddy's new job as a truck driver meant that he would be gone for long periods of time. So he had sent her to live with her grandma while he was away.

After half an hour of tossing and turning the young girl gave up on sleep, and threw her fluffy, blue comforter to the floor. She snuck out of her room, and down the hall. She made sure to be as silent as possible as to not wake her grandmother. In all reality, she shouldn't have worried about disturbing her grandma, in her old age, Melony Wheel had lost her keen hearing.

Wendy continued to tiptoe down the hall until she reached her goal, the kitchen. There she opened the fridge and took out the milk. She had soon filled up a mug and put in the microwave. Her daddy always said that warm milk helps you sleep.

As she waited for her milk to be done she started fidgeting. It wasn't just the hustle and bustle of the city that was putting her on edge, something felt wrong.

*Beep beep beep*

Wendy took her milk out of the microwave and tested it with her finger. Not too hot, and not too cold, just right. She took a long slip. Still feeling uneasy she decided to make her way to the living room, and watch some tv. She found the comfiest spot on the couch, and used the remote to turn on the television.

"Breaking news!"

Wendy being eight did not really care for the news. Right as she was about to change the channel something caught her eye, and she froze.

"Tonight Have-Man yet again defeated the evil genius Overshadow. In the process, he also apprehended a man by the name of Colin Wheel, who aided the villain in his scheme. Mr. Wheel intercepted a super strength blow from the hero intended for Overshadow. Unfortunately, Mr. Wheel did not possess the same unbreakable skeleton as Overshadow, and passed away soon after the conflict... For more on this, we go to Kelly Hooper."

There on the screen was a video of her father, being punched in the face by Have-Man. Wendy bolted up. She felt dizzy, and sick but she didn't let that stop her. She practically leaped down the hall to her grandma's room, no longer caring about being quiet. Once she got there she flung the door open, and rushed to he grandma's bed.

"Grandma!" She practically screamed.

The old woman jolted out of bed at the sudden noise that even she could her. She was down next to her granddaughter has fast as her old bones would let her.

"What's wrong dear?" the older woman asked, concern etched across her face.

"Dad *hiccup* Tv *hiccup* Gone!' She managed to stutter out in between sobs.

*Knock! Knock!*

"Police open up!" a voice boomed from the front door.

Melony Wheel's eyes widened "Stay here Wendy. I'll deal with this."

Wendy sank to the floor as her grandma left to answer the door. The little girl curled up and started crying uncontrollably. In the distance, she could faintly make out her grandma talking to the police, but she didn't care.

"Daddy is. . . Dead."

Somehow saying it out loud made it all too real. Her sobs intensified. Every time she tried to breathe it felt like she was choking, but she didn't care. All she cared about were the three words that kept replaying in her head, over, and over again. Daddy is dead. Daddy is dead. Daddy is dead.