Seven: The Photographs

The sun was up by the time we got back to Mary-Anne's house. On the walk I had explained everything about Evelyn Florence, her mother's ghost and her father the soldier and my promise to find him.

‘But wait... What about the weakness thing? I never heard anything...’

‘Me neither. I guess Kai's safety has just been on her mind since the start of the war, and the house just brought it out of her.’ I said, feeling so relieved that Reo would not be hurt or taken away because of me. I briefly explained our situation to my parents while Rosalie rushed off to the kitchen to make up the last of the food. 

‘How do you expect to find a man you've never met before, who's going off to war?’ my Dad asked sounding skeptical. Only the thought of breaking my promise to sweet little Evelyn made my heart sink, so I banished it from my mind as I shrugged and answered, ‘I don't know, but I will.’

I went upstairs because I needed some time to think things through – and the perfect place to do that seemed to be Mary-Anne’s son’s bedroom. I sat on his bed and looked across the room at the photograph of him and his mother grinning without a care in the world.

‘Where am I gonna find Evelyn’s father?’ I asked the photo. After 10 more minutes of solitary thought, I strolled back downstairs. Once you’ve stayed in that room for a while you find yourself gasping for fresh air. I wouldn’t stray from the forest though, so as not to be seen. I ambled across the fresh grass as the summer sun was shining down through the leaves of the trees, creating a pretty speckled shade. I sat below a large Oak tree and felt as though I could be back home, enjoying a beautiful Summer’s day, sat against the tree trunk with a book on my lap… and a newspaper in my face. Wait, what? NEWSPAPER.

Boom, a flyer slapped into my face, snapping me out of my lovely daydream. I fumbled my fingers over it, eventually managing to pull it away from my eyes. I held it down and read as the wind flicked up the corners. It was recent – it had today’s date on it. One article took up most of the page, but that was all I needed; the main story was titled, ‘Local Army To March Through Hawksley’

‘Guys!’ I cried, bursting through the front door to Mary-Anne’s house. ‘I know where to find Evelyn’s dad!’

I showed the newspaper around and explained how it would be the perfect time to search for Evelyn’s father. ‘It’ll give us the opportunity to get some food too…’ said my Mum thoughtfully.

So that night, at dusk fall, I left the house alone to go and visit Evelyn. At least, I thought I was alone, until Reo popped up beside me.

‘Whatcha up to, sneaking about at night all sneaky-like?’ he asked, sending me up into the air in astonishment.

‘You followed me?’ I hissed, striding forwards.

‘Well I couldn’t let you go outside at night during a war alone!’ he answered, speed-walking beside me. I ignored him and kept up my fast steps. ‘Where are you headed?’

‘I’m going to see Evelyn, to find out what her father looks like, so I can seek him out in the march tomorrow.’ I said shortly.

‘Okay, can I come?’ Reo asked.

I considered this, then answered, ‘Fine. But you do this my way – she’s quite the sensitive one.’

We reached the manor house and hauled open the rusty gates, the only sound in barren Amberton being their loud creaking. It was fourth time in this house so I began to feel more comfortable in it. Maybe it helped that I now knew it wasn’t solely inhabited by a malicious poltergeist. I walked straight to Evelyn’s door, then left Reo outside and knocked softly. ‘It’s Avery, can I come in?’

‘Yes.’ Answered Evelyn. I pushed open the door and strode in calmly.

‘It’s nice to see you again.’ She smiled.

‘It’s great seeing you too. Well, I think I know where to find your father.’ I said. Evelyn’s brown eyes lit up and for a second I was reminded of my younger self.

‘Really?' she grinned.

‘Yes, but that’s why I’m here. I need to ask-’

There was a loud and purposeful cough from just outside the room. I sighed and asked Evelyn if my friend could come in.

‘Okay.’ Evelyn said. I went over to the door, pulled it open and glared at Reo, who gazed guiltily back like a scolded child.

‘Come on then.’ He followed me back inside and smiled timidly at Evelyn.

‘H-Hi, I’m Reo.’ he introduced himself and stuck a hand out for her to shake. She looked at it distrustfully, then turned back to me and asked me to carry on with my sentence. I noticed she was taking extra measures to keep a good distance between Reo and herself, just like she did with me in our first meeting.

‘Yeah, so, urm, where was I?’ I stuttered. Reo opened his mouth to remind me, but I shot him a look and he snapped it shut.

‘Ah yes, I need to know exactly what your father looks like.’ I explained.

‘Of course!’ Evelyn said, before rushing over to her bed and lifting up her pillow. Beneath it were three slips of crinkled and old paper, which she handed me carefully. The first was a sepia picture of a sad-looking young man in an army outfit. The second was that same man, his total appearance completely different, transformed with the smile he shared with a lady stood beside him. Held by both of them was a little toddler as she took her first steps. Evelyn.

Finally, the last photo was of a little boy and his smiling mother. And I knew exactly who that young mother was.

Mary-Anne Grey.