The Perfect Night

Months after the capture and abrupt rescue of Kushina Uzumaki, she and Minato Namikaze found themselves unable to detach from one another. They had grown accustomed to the sensations of admiration that followed after the night he'd saved her from shinobi of the Hidden Mist Village---a neighboring village that had plotted the failed abduction of the fiery-haired girl. However, their past had only formed a stronger bond between their hearts.

A time of celebration in the Village Hidden in the Leaves was now upon it and the young couple wished only to enjoy their break from the hassles of their previous missions. Together, they roamed the lamp-lit streets of Konoha, their fingers interlaced within one another's and ecstatic eyes fixated ahead.

Kushina's pre-teen form was clad in a pale pink kimono with light Sakura flowers adorning the bottom of it and flowing sleeves nearly reaching the ground her dark pink oboe sash wrapped firmly around her abdomen, while Minato wore a navy yukata with white leaves gently decorating the garment---appearing as though they were falling.

"Sh-Should we get something . . . to eat . . . before the fireworks, Minato?" she asked, her voice evident with slight embarrassment and cheeks blushing a cute hue of pink.

The spiky, blond haired boy glanced down at her and examined her bashful expression. Unable to contain the laugh, Minato nodded and grinned. "Of course!" he said, raising his eyebrow for a moment as his bright blue eyes examined the surrounding yatai, or food stalls, before they landed upon the sight of one of the largest. "How about there?"

Following his gaze, Kushina's violet eyes illuminated with glee. Removing her hand from Minato's she clutched his arm with her left and subtly nodded towards it. "Mhm!" she affirmed.

Briskly guiding the long, red-haired girl towards the stall, Minato allowed Kushina to situate herself on one of the red stools provided, then sat next to her. Glancing over at the husky man preparing another customer's order, Kushina examined the menu above and immediately paused as her mind skimmed over the word: kakigōri.

Smiling to herself as the bald brute finished with the couple on the opposite side of she and Minato, Kushina looked over at him and nudged his shoulder. "Green tea kakigōri," she said, causing the boy to return the affectionate expression and inform the man as he stopped in front of them.

"Will the two of you be sharing an order, or would you like to get something as well?" inquired the cook as he glanced between Minato and Kushina, a broad grin spread across his round face.

Minato looked at Kushina, his eyebrow arched in question and lips curved at their edges in a sweet manner. "Do you want anything else?" he paused for a moment and peered up at the menu. "I'd be happy to get you some dumplings or anything else you'd want, Kushina."

The girl quickly turned herself to the side and vigorously shook her head. "Th-That's all I want to eat, ya know!" she exclaimed, sounding rather flustered by his simple question.

Her reaction had caused the man behind the counter to break out into a fit of hysterical laughter. Minato rubbed the back of his neck as he looked over at the man and slyly smiled. "I'll have a sweet plum kakigōri," he said, chuckling before blushing at the man's face as he knelt down and smirked.

"Are you sure you're not in the mood for some dumplings? I'd be happy to provide the two of you with a couple of skewers, seeing as how you've made my night better with your visit."

Kushina sat up in a normal sitting position and looked over at Minato, her head partially bowed in a bashful manner. "I-It's up to you, y-ya know," she murmured, her tone abnormally feeble.

Minato smiled in a charming way and nodded. "We'll take them," he said, laughing.

"Coming right up!" exclaimed the man as he went to work and effortlessly prepared their order of two kakigōri and dango within five minutes. Placing the two bowls of shaved ice and plates of dango between each of them, he grinned massively. "You two enjoy!"

"Thank you for the food," said the couple as they gawked at their orders in awe.

The dolled up, red-haired girl slowly snatched up her spoon and took her first, cautious scoop out of the green-glazed kakigōri and ate it, allowing the ice to melt within her mouth. "Minato . . ." she said, catching the boy's attention.

"What is it, Kushina?" he asked, his blonde eyebrow arched.

"Th-Thank you," she muttered, smiling as she continued eating.

Minato bobbed his head and laughed in a soft tone. "You're welcome."

Once they'd finished their meals, Minato and Kushina bowed and thanked the man behind the counter for it and left, their sights now set on the red bridge that connected the east and west portions of the village. As they arrived upon it, the couple shifted their attention up to the sky, just as an explosion resounded from it and a beautiful light-show erupted before them. Fireworks.

Kushina and Minato stared at them with wide, glistening eyes. As each intricate rocket was sent into the sky and bursted outward, forming shapes ranging from sakura to spheres of multiple colors, Minato inched his hand over to Kushina's, which was resting upon the railing of the bridge. Feeling the slight tingle of his fingers clasping hers, the girl blushed and glanced over at him. Minato averted his bright blue eyes from her violet ones and stared momentarily at the reflection of himself and Kushina in the stream below. His cheeks suddenly burned as Kushina said his name in a low tone.

Shifting his attention over to her, he exhaled a sigh and smiled. "Kushina," he said, looking up at the sky as another firework exploded, "thank you for everything."

Kushina shook her head. "Hm mm," she said, to which Minato stared at her, his eyes wide with disbelief.

"Huh?" he asked, his voice evident with confusion. "Kushina, what do you mea---"

"Thank you . . . for making this the perfect night." She grinned and clasped his hands tighter as she giggled slightly.

Minato was in shock for a moment before he suddenly smiled and leaned towards her. Unable to refrain from doing the same, Kushina neared herself towards him. Their lips gently met as the encore of the fireworks commenced and illuminated the night sky. It had been truly the perfect first kiss to them both. From that moment forth, they knew they'd be together forever.

This story is entered in this year's NarutoWattys2015 under the "Canon Pairings" category. If you liked it, please go and place your vote for it there!