Chapter 11-[James]

CHAPTER 11-[James]

I could honestly say that that had been one of the weirdest moments so far. His burn had completely vanished. Just not there. Not even some marks. He had only just gotten burned yesterday. How could it have healed so quickly?

"Where are my burns?" Jake asked, knowing that probably no one else would know the answer. Jenna continually stared at his arm and face, shifting her head left and right to make sure that she hadn't missed anything.

"Just another reason to get you to our base," Baron said behind me. "We'll discuss more once we get get there."

He turned around, the caliber in his hand with the tip touching the ground, and started to walk the rest of the way up the stairs and out the door back up on the surface.

I had this weird feeling about Baron that just made me wonder. How did he know what I was thinking about? How did he know about the-

Jake bumped into me, still clutching his arm with his left hand. I was still on the steps.

"Oh, sorry," I snapped out of my state of thought and started walking again, reaching my legs far outside the basement door and touching the ground again.

Jenna and Jake started to talk quietly to each other, probably discussing what might have happened there.

I caught up with Baron which pulled the others along as we started walking. After a few moments of walking, I'm guessing that Baron remembered that we were out in the open, so he started to crouch a bit and stood behind every large thing we passed for a few seconds and then continued.

He was acting like he was showing off and was acting like he was better at it than us.

We all continued through the ruins of what used to be my neighborhood.

There was something about Baron that just made me wonder whether or not we should trust him. He says he has food and shelter and that there are others there. Was he really telling the truth? I wasn't really sure why he wouldn't be. Why lie about that?

I knew, also, that he had other qualities that I wasn't sure if the other two knew about. Not only did he know a lot about the UCs and their plan, but he knew too much.

He couldn't have gotten all of that information just from a mechanics schematics. He had to have gotten that information somewhere else, but where?

Too much had happened. Too much information. I reached into my pocket, pulled out my ear buds and put them in my ears. I usually listened to music when there's too much drama or stress for me to deal with. It was usually electronic, house or techno music that I had on my phone, so I always kept the volume up to get the full effect (because there are so many instrumentals).

After I put in my ear buds, I just kept walking along with Baron and the others.

We kept on walking and then eventually came to a stop. Baron looked around, as if reassuring himself that he was in the right place. He then started to gaze around us, and laid his eyes on a small but noticeable arrow made with bricks that was about ten feet to our right. He walked over to, glancing back at us to make sure that we were following him.

I looked back at Jake and Jenna. He wasn't holding his arm anymore, but had a puzzled look on his face.

We stopped right next to the arrow. It pointed in a completely different direction than what we'd been walking in.

"I set this up when I got here," Baron explained, "and then I checked all the houses down this side of the street. It points in the direction of the base."