The Encounter

I slammed the folded shirt down on the table, pissed off as ever. How dare this, child, say those things? He had the AUDACITY to do that, to ridicule me in front of the class. I don't care if he apologized for it. I bet he's getting told off by him. 

Charlie. I thought back on his voice and my heart stop and start again as I looked back at him. Charlie was his name.

And now he knew mine. He repeated it with Neil.

As if he was trying to remember it as I'm remembering his.

-

"Weird class..." Cameron commented from his bed. God, I couldn't even stand his voice. I continued to smoke my cigarette as I lay back, staring at the swirls in the ceiling. Cameron scoffs, disregarding the fact that I'm ignoring him. "And that girl, right?"

At this, I turn just my head to Cameron. "What about her?"

He must have sensed my peaked curiosity. He just smirked and choked on a laugh. "You interested or something, Charlie?"

I flicked the cigarette's ashes on him before taking another drag. "What does it matter to you, bootlicker?"

But I wanted to tell someone about it. Anyone. The moment saw her I felt... different. Yeah, sure, I had a lot of girls lined out the door for me. With a little comment here and there, I could get a woman at my beck and call. Hell, that was my 'keen' summer. But with her, just seeing those green eyes, made my instincts stop. Maybe because she would beat my ass. Or try.

Or maybe it was something more.  

I sat up and crushed the cigarette beneath my foot. "I'll be back."

Before Cameron could make another stupid-ass comment, I was striding down the hall.

-

For some reason, the washers and dryers seemed to go a lot faster than the last few hours. It was odd. The stack of uniforms piled nearly to the ceiling as I neared to the finish.

My blood boiled. The more I thought about that class, the more I wanted to punch something. I dared not to do it to the stack of clothes. I felt I was overreacting, but at this point, I didn't care. At all.

"The wall doesn't have feelings." I jumped, nearly knocking down all of the laundry. The voice drawled from behind me. "But it looks so pretty unmarked."

I choked on the tiniest drop of saliva. "You're not supposed to be in here." I turned to Charlie. His smirk on his face already made my gut shrink. 

"And you aren't supposed to be seen with any students...." He took a daring step closer. The nerve. "Tell me again on how we're different, Victoria."

He remembered my name. I swallowed down any saliva that I had, which was practically none. "We are a lot different than similar, I can tell you that much."

He looked down as he pulled a cigarette pack from his pocket. Oh no he didn't. "Charlie..."

He glanced back up and flipped open the lid. "Is there a problem?"

I scoffed. "A prob-" I chuckled to myself. "The problem... Charlie... is that you are SMOKING IN A LAUNDRY ROOM WITH EVERYONE'S CLOTHES!"

He stalked towards me, a bit faster this time. I backed up just as fast,my back slamming into the wall. "Mr. Keating told you about me didn't he?" He came up in front of me bracing both of his arms on the either side of me.

I gulped. He had me cornered. "He didn't need to tell me this much as you are showing it, Mr. Dalton."

"Such. A. Tease." He pushed off from the wall and walked back to where he came. The exit. Good. "I hope I'll be able to hear your lovely voice one day, Victoria." He glanced back. "And I don't necessarily mean you singing either."

He opened the door and closed it, but not letting me see one of those mischevious smiles yet again before the thud of the door made me lose my senses.