"I-I..." I stammer, feeling at a loss for words because I don't really know what to say. What could I say after I ran out on him? I'm sorry? That didn't exactly seem to cut it.

"You've been avoiding me."

"I have?" I blurt like the nervous idiot that I am.

"You have," he repeats with an amused grin. "But I knew I'd catch you sooner or later."

"You did?"

"I did," he says with a chuckle. "I've been meaning to talk to you-"

"I can't," I say, interrupting him. "I have somewhere I need to be."

"And it can't wait?"

"Nope. I have to go. We can definitely talk later though," I lie to him, knowing I can put my plans off for a bit but I don't want to. I want to avoid our "much-needed talk" for as long as I can.

"Okay, well call or text me when you get back," he says, handing me his business card. "My personal number is on the back."

"Sounds good," I respond with a nervous smile and make a beeline for my car, wanting to get away from him. 

"Wait! You forgot my card!" he shouts with a laugh. I quickly turn around and walk back towards him, wishing the ground could open up and swallow me whole. But of course, it doesn't, which leaves me no choice but to suck up my pride and face him.

"I'll take that," I respond with an embarrassed smile and pluck the business card from his hand.

"I thought you might want these too," he says, holding out my red Chucks and socks I left at his place when I ran out last weekend.

"Thanks. I completely forgot about those," I admit embarrassed and take them from him.

"I asked you about them when you ran out the other day."

"Don't remind me," I tell him and tuck his business card into my back pocket. "Well, I will talk to you later," I tell him, looking for an out. Any out. I just need to get away from him and put distance between us.

"I guess I'll see you around then."

"Definitely," I reply with a nervous smile and walk back to my car, glad to finally be away from him, not because I don't like talking to him but because I tend to turn into a nervous wreck when I am around him. I get into my car and give it a few minutes to warm up before driving off, leaving Nate finally behind.

Half an hour later I arrive at the beach and make my way to one of my favorite Mexican Restaurants to get a bite to go. I order a large beef burrito with a side of chips, lots of salsa and a large horchata, which happens to be one of my favorite drinks of all time. Within a few minutes my food is ready and so is my stomach.

I walk over to a slightly shaded area on the sand and take a seat, placing the bag with my food on the sand along with my drink. I take the moment to take off my shoes and dig my feet into the sand, loving the gravely feeling of the sand against my toes.

"Mind if I join you?" I hear someone ask and slowly turn my head, hoping that the person isn't asking me of all people, but I figure that is highly unlikely because there is no one near where I am sitting.

I look up to see who is asking to join me and feel my mouth fall wide open.

"Are you stalking me now?" I ask outraged as I stand up and face him. Here I was trying to get away from him and now he was here, standing right in front of me.

"I like to think of it as more of a funny coincidence," Nate says with a smug grin that I want to rub right off his face.

"This isn't funny."