Maddie

Maddie stepped inside her room and turned, bringing the door half closed so Cole knew he wasn't being invited in. "Thank you for such a lovely evening."

Blue eyes closer to a whitewashed denim color searched her face, and she did her best to keep her emotions from showing. Because she knew for certain that she couldn't choose Cole as her mate.

Their time together, while lovely and thoughtfully planned, had been nothing she particularly enjoyed doing— fancy dress-up dinner, carriage ride under the stars, a huge bouquet of flowers. None of it her.

Granted, they hadn't had much time to get to know each other, but shouldn't a fated mate connect with their other half in a way that made them instinctually know each other? That's what Moira had described. Maddie might have been able to overlook that part if it weren't for a kiss that left her cold.

With Fallon it had been all heat and need. More, if she were honest—like his soul connected directly to hers, as if they were jacked in to each other. She didn't feel the same thing with Cole. Quite the opposite, actually.

The comparison might be unfair. She'd wanted Fallon before all this, when she'd thought they were both just human. But still, she couldn't face a lifetime of hoping it might get better with Cole.

"Will you be asking to see anyone tomorrow?" Cole asked, hope obvious in his voice.

Maddie shook her head. "No. I think I'm going to take tomorrow to think through everything. I want to make sure. You know?"

An emotion flashed in his eyes, so fast she wasn't positive she saw it, but Maddie shivered nonetheless. 

However, Cole only nodded. "I understand."

Did he? Tonight he'd acted as though they were both just going through the motions of this process for the sake of tradition. That he was a sure thing.

Before they'd come here, she'd taken his attitude as a sign that she should trust him about their being destined. Cole was handsome, smart, driven. Beta of the small group of dragon shifters he lived with in the States, he had a future ahead of him. He'd make any woman a good partner. She'd be lucky to have him.

Except for the odd feeling that they didn't quite fit. A puzzle piece that looked like the right shape, but you couldn't quite force it into the spot you'd picked out for it.

"I'll see you at the selection tomorrow night," Cole said. 

Maddie wanted to tell him her decision now, in private, so he wouldn't have his hopes up, but she'd been strictly warned to keep her decisions to herself until the narrowing. Not that they could probably do much about it, but she also still needed time to think. "Thanks, Cole. For everything."

He paused in turning away, gave her a serious, searching look, then gave a sharp nod and left.

Maddie closed her door and locked it. She hardly noticed the splendor of the large room. Too much was on her mind. Instead, she walked through the sitting area and through massive French doors onto a private patio. She plopped into a cushioned chair and stared out over the immaculate grounds, the landscaping softly illuminated by professional lighting all around.

"What am I going to do?"

The other two men the Council had sent her were never in the running and pretty much knew that from day one, and their time together had felt like that. She wasn't worried about them. Cole was a definite no as well.

Which left Fallon.

A small part of her soul fluttered with anticipation. Their attraction was off the charts, but more than that, a deep-seated coming home sensation washed through her when she was with him. Before, she'd thought he was a good man, one who made her laugh, and she could see herself with him. Yesterday, he'd proved that he'd been paying more attention than she'd ever thought.

But he'd let her go without a thought when she'd moved away. Yes, he'd thought her human at the time, and that he was doing the right thing. But shouldn't that have been harder for him if she was truly his mate? Shouldn't instinct have made that separation agony?

Maddie closed her eyes and dropped her head back against the chair. She couldn't ignore her draw to Fallon, but what really held her back now was the knowledge that if she chose wrong, she'd die in the mating process. Burned alive from the inside out by his fire.

Almost worse was the fact that if she died, Fallon would still live, though not for long if he meant what he'd said... that he wouldn't be far behind if she burned. Even if he didn't follow her to the grave, he'd lose a part of himself in the process. The risk of stealing even a small part of the spark that made Fallon who he was made her stomach clench in a fear. Nausea rolled in her stomach in waves.

For his sake, she refused to make the wrong choice and saddle Fallon with her death and risk his. How could she trust her life and his based on feelings alone?

Tears stung the back of her closed eyes, one slipping out to run down her cheek.

I would rather not choose any of them and keep Fallon safe. Herself, too.

Choosing no one and living with the consequences for herself was the only way forward she could see that made any sense.