"And what can you possibly want from Maude?" asked Mr. Ruchet, spitting out Maude's name as if he were talking of skunks and cabbages. He glanced at the card, trying to decide whether it wasn't part of a con.

James Baldwin pretended not to notice his disdain and pursued calmly.

"Maude is a very talented musician."

"Maude?" snorted Mrs. Ruchet almost choking on her Lipton Iced Tea. She coughed loudly. She didn't know as much English as her husband, but she understood it a little.

"What my wife means," started Mr. Ruchet, "is zat you are probably, most certainly mistaken. Ze young girl has no talent at all. She is no musician and lacks talent in every artistic domain."

James Baldwin looked at Mr. Ruchet fixedly and said, "I can assure you she has and like I have rarely seen. While in Paris I heard her play the piano and sing Edith Piaf's "La Vie en Rose." She knows how to play, and her singing is remarkably good."

Mrs. Ruchet almost dropped her basin but retained her precious drink in a nick of time.

"Look," James Baldwin said firmly, while opening his briefcase. "I came all the way here for a reason. My company would like to sign Maude. I have a contract right here. You can talk this over with your lawyer-"

"I am a lawyer," Mr. Ruchet interrupted angrily as if his guest should have instantly guessed he was dealing with a man of the Law.

"Good," replied Mr. Baldwin levelly, not the least bit intimidated by Mr. Ruchet's behavior. "Then perhaps we could discuss-"

"Zer is nothing to discuss. I don't know what Maude did or told you in Paris, but zis is completely out of ze question. You want Maude to leave her home in Carvin to follow you to I don't know where-"

"New York," interrupted Mr. Baldwin, calmly.

"It might as well be Asia!" shrieked Mrs. Ruchet, spilling over half her drink while doing so.

"As you can see, you are completely rattling my poor wife. How do you think my wife could get along without ze girl who has become like a daughter to her if ever she were to leave for another part of the universe. She was already so sad to see her go for an entire day to Paris, she couldn't possibly stand this. Zis is out of the question."

"I am sure Mrs. Ruchet can accompany Maude if she likes. A lot of ze, ur, I mean the young musicians we sign have one of their parents who stay with them. It is greatly encouraged as it gives the teenager structure and guidance," explained James Baldwin.

"And I suppose ze whole family should move to ze New York zen, Mr. Batwing?" asked Mr. Ruchet with a smirk.

"The name is Baldwin," corrected James Baldwin. "But, no, I don't suppose the whole family should move to New York. If Maude were to come unaccompanied, she would stay with my family and me. I have two daughters, and one is of Maude's age. I have welcomed young musicians in my home many times while they were producing their album, I could do it for Maude as well. My wife and I would care for her as if she were our own. I guarantee that."

Mr. Ruchet, who had never cared for Maude as if she was his own, felt a keener aversion for Mr. Baldwin.

"Maude will stay in Carvin where she belongs, Mr. Baldking," said Mr. Ruchet. "And that is final."

"And I suppose I don't get to say a word on the matter?" asked Maude suddenly appearing at the entrance of the living room. Maude, cleaning up the house entrance, had heard every single word that had been said in her absence, not wanting to interrupt what James Baldwin had to say. She refused to remain silent a minute longer.