Chapter 1 - Farewell Hyrule King

You drew the cloak tighter as you moved through the mass of people on the street. Fortunately, no one noticed you. Unfortunately, you were helplessly lost. You moved among the crowd but kept getting pushed deeper and deeper into the labyrinth of streets. The buildings seemed to close in on you, climbing higher and blocking out the sky. You trembled and curled up in a corner, near a storm drain. Here you were, supposed to be a tough boy to help Father and sister, but you sat in a back alley crying again, like every night since Mother's passing.

"Are you lost little one?" A big woman, possibly Gerudo, knelt next to you with a fluffy white cat draped over her shoulders. Her arms were full of fresh produce from the market. "Oh my, you're just a tiny voe. How old are you?"

"Seven," you sniffed.

She brushed your cloak hood back. You thought you saw something cross her eyes, but she kept the same warm smile. "Why don't you come with me? You can stay in my shop as long as you want." The cat mewed in agreement.

You rubbed your eyes and took her hand, still sniffling. "I'm sorry, I don't wanna be a crybaby..."

"You're fine little one. Everyone cries sometimes. It's sometimes best to let it out."

She led you to a pub in the back alley, making you wonder if you made the wrong choice. She ushered you in and dropped the vegetables on the counter. "Now, my name is Telma, what's yours?"

"[Y/n]" you said, rubbing your tears on your sleeve. You didn't know why you didn't lie.

"So I thought, little prince." She smiled at the fright on your face. "It's okay, you're safe here. I can imagine many reasons as to why you might be running from the castle. My offer still stands, you can stay here as long as you like. I'll get some food for you. It might not be what you'd get in the castle, but I can make a mean stew!"

She began chopping up some gourmet meat. You, meanwhile, took a look around. It seemed like an old dungeon, somehow made cozy. A few people met at a table deliberating over a map. A little boy with hair like wheat ready for harvest and eyes blue as the sky watched silently. You hoped he wouldn't look and see your bloodshot eyes.

He did.

The boy ran over with a smile. "Hi, I'm Link, what's your name?"

You were a bit taken aback by how friendly he was. "I'm... [Y/n]."

"That's a cool name. My dad is meeting with his friends. They're all really cool warriors!" Sure, seemed that way to you, looking at the variety of weapons on the table. They looked tough, like when things were bad they would fight and win without a sweat. "I'm gonna be a warrior like them too!"

There are times in everyone's life where they make a decision that defines the path they will take. Usually, it happens, and they don't realize it until much later. This was one of yours.

"Me too."

   ▲
▲ ▲

You woke up groaning, with every bone in your body stiffer than a thousand-year-old Gibdo. With a groan, you wrenched your back to bend, and you sat up. You were no longer at the canyon bottom but in some kind of cave. You sat at the foot of a Sheikah shrine, though there were easily over a hundred of them, so that didn't narrow down anything. Unlike Zelda, you couldn't read Ancient Sheikah, just Hylian – not that reading the shrine's runes would help. The cave also housed a few powder kegs and a couple of crates. You stumbled to your feet and realized you were naked. All of your wounds were completely healed. Your Royal Guard uniform was clean and folded neatly next to you.