one

wheein silently followed byul through the dark woods, the only thing illuminating their path being a phone flashlight. they had been walking for several minutes, drunk off the adrenaline from skating.

they reached a familiar clearing, sitting on their boards. wheein took a second to appreciate the view, already starting to calm down. the lake was dark, waves highlighted with the moon melting into the water. byul layed down and exhaled, looking over at wheein expectantly.

"you have the stuff, right?"

wheein grinned cutely, pearly whites shining back at byul.

"but of course, darling."

byul giggled at wheein's fake british accent, pulling out a package from her windbreaker pocket. she tossed it on the grass towards wheein, winking.

"they're special. strawberry flavoured, hwasa gave me a little discount on this," byul smiled, finding a slow, vibey song on her phone.

wheein's dimples shone through, face lighting up. byul glanced at her briefly, still worried.

her short black hair was unruly. the large hoodie she wore hid a thin frame. her eyes had luggage under them, one of her eyelids swollen purple. a bandage across her nose bridge and a bruise on her cheek. byul frowned. wheein looked content and at peace, happy to a stranger. byul knew better, however. she knew that peace, and she knew it was short-lived. she knew wheein supressed whatever she felt, only to have it burst at a later time.

wheein sang along softly, opening byul's package. they were wrapping papers, a light pinkish beige color.

"you're good at singing, you know?"

byul watched with delight as wheein's face turned red. she laughed, rubbing the back of her neck.

"you- you're a damn liar..," wheein muttered, clearly embarassed. she pulled the weed out of the pockets of her jeans.

she began rolling them into the papers as byul got up, finding flat rocks. the blonde began to throw them into the water, watching the stones skip across the waves, leaving behind dimly lit ripples.

they settled into a comfortable silence. wheein pulled her lighter up, holding the joint high.

"byul, your highness?"

the latter laughed, walking over and dusting her hands off. she bent at the waist, facing wheein, who placed her joint between her lips.

byul's eyes flicked down at her sleeves sliding down her arms, burn scars prominent even with the lack of light. wheein worked the lighter, immediately smelling strawberry.

"pretty nice, huh wheein?"

she sat beside the black haired girl as she lit her own stick. the song drifted across the cool air, getting lost in the strawberry scented haze and the waves. they burned through a few, talking about the stress of school.

"yeah... byul, i- thank you. so much. for this, and taking care of me..."

byul turned to wheein, faced with her teary eyes. her eyes widened and against byul's better judgement, she pulled the other girl into a hug.

"wheein... don't say anything. i'm just- i... i'm glad you're alive."

wheein eventually broke down in the crushing comfort of byul's embrace. she doesn't remember her last hug. she shivered violently, images of her father's rage filled face and his hands fast approaching her flashing across her mind.

byul resisted the urge to cry. she found wheein at the nearby bus station, looking totally numb and dishevelled with a bag hanging off of her shoulder. she dragged the poor girl to her place to dress her wounds.

they used to be neighbours- often playing hopscotch or drawing on pavements as kids. byul found wheein to be the best friend she always wanted and wheein found byul to be the role model she never had.

they only had each other in the cruel world they lived in.

"i brought you here to cheer you up, so... lets try to have fun, okay?"

wheein smiled weakly, eyes wet with tears. byul got up, quickly changing the song into something upbeat. she finished her joint and put it out, holding her hand out for wheein to grab.

"byul- i... you have catallena downloaded? seriously?" wheein laughed between sniffs, byul dancing with a glint of mischief in her dark eyes.

"you know you want to, dude. get up or i'll make you." byul grinned and grabbed her hand, almost falling backwards.

wheein wiped her tears away with that, the tension in her body melting away.

____________

HI ok so new story!! this'll be no more than 10 chapters. i hope yall find it ok so far