Chapter 21: A Budding... Something

Start from the beginning

"So you're cousins." Jay nods, as if he's figured out another key piece.

Roman chuckles. "Oh, no. No way. Everyone sure thought we would get married before they realized I liked men. Suppose that was due to all the times we played family."

"Oh you're gay?" Jay sounds faintly surprised.

"What?"

"That means you like men. Can also be an umbrella term for, like, generally not heterosexual." Jay clarifies.

"What?" Roman looks even more confused. "You have different titles? Well, if you do and that helps I suppose there's no harm done, but we do not have different words for attraction."

Jay nods. "Huh, well if that works for you."

"We do not need names. I just simply find males — boys — attractive." He shrugs and a full-blown smile unfolds.

I choke on my drink and cough loudly, hitting is chest to dispel the misplaced fluids. Jacob and Roman both glance over confused and slightly concerned. I wave my hand to signal to them that all was alright, still coughing a bit.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Really. Went down the wrong pipe."

Roman raises an eyebrow. "Obviously."

Jay glances between us for a minute before slapping his thighs and standing up. "Right. Okay, I'll go off and find Ally."

Taylor looks up at him, still seated. "Alright, I'll finish this and busy myself somehow too then."

Jay nods. "There's lots to do, I suppose. Stay out of trouble, okay?"

Not a minute later he disappears from sight around some corner, not even giving me time to say yes or come up with a clever clap-back. I sip slowly, staring after my brother, thinking about nothing and everything really. On second thought, I really should not be thinking. That leads to ideas; ones I really shouldn't have.

"That wasn't very subtle. Very obvious, really." Roman says, bemused.

He leans back, languidly, comfortable in his own skin. Very unlike how he was on Earth. He oozes confidence and a know-it-all attitude which is borderline annoying. I felt a little unsettled. It's easy to ignore a pompous, entitled ass. Much easier than with a chivalrous, protective, and a kinda sorta nice guy.

I swallow before I do something idiotic like drool. "What do you mean?"

"Oh? I got it wrong? Sorry." He didn't look sorry.

"I gotta go." I jump up and dust some imaginary dirt off of me. "Ya, know. Help out."

"You said you'd finish your drink first," he says, pointing to the half-full drink in question.

I grab the cup and down it in one. Just being my luck, I choke again. Roman has the nerve to look bemused. He gets up and pats my solidly on the back a few times; every time sending another electric shock down my spine.

"I'm good." I manage to get out, and dash off, leaving the smug idiot in the dust.

His laughter follows me; a reminder that for once I didn't have the upper hand, and I have no damned idea how to go about things now.

Roman:

Leon, a man who worked side by side with me in the Majesty comes up behind me. I don't turn, waiting for him to change his mind and pass, or speak on whatever was on his mind at the moment. I hear his footsteps slide to a halt and he clears his throat, so I turn. I glance up and down his figure. Now that he has stopped spending every day sitting, and is training more, he has almost completely transformed.