86

"What are you doing here?!"

[Name] sighed as she was apprehended at the gates of Uzushiogakure by none other than Karin, whose face she remembered clearly from their one encounter together at the failed meeting of peace at the Chūo River.

"I come on peaceful terms," said the Kouhage in surrender, raising her arms in the air as other patrol guards came forward to see what all the noise was about. "I've come here on my own."

"No, I mean, what are you doing here? The last time I checked, Madara-sama was looking for his wife!"

Murmurs began to travel between the surrounding guards as they all regarded [Name] suspiciously, the news of how she had abandoned her husband and child was brought to the forefront of everyone's minds. Though the exact details were unknown, seeing [Name] now suddenly turn up at their doorstep after months of unexplained absence was a shock for the guards.

"Please, Karin," said [Name] weakly, already having endured a four day trek and bumpy boat ride to get to the new Uzushiogakure. "I'm just here to see Naruto. I heard about Hinata's passing."

Karin grimaced upon learning of [Name]'s purpose for visiting, and after thinking it over for a few seconds, threw her hands up and began waving the other eavesdroppers away.

"Nothing to see here!" she announced, making to push everyone away. "We have no right to turn away anyone who turns up at our village gates. She can pass."

"But Karin, she's-"

"Shut up! Now move!"

[Name] lowered her head demurely as she followed Karin into the village, making sure to keep her face hidden as the Uzumaki begrudgingly began leading her through the streets.

"You know, you have a lot of nerve to come walking in here," began Karin, shooting [Name] a haughty glare over her shoulder. "Do you know how much you're risking by coming here?"

"I won't be here too long. I promise."

"That doesn't change the fact that we've allowed you in. What ever would Madara-sama think if he found out his escaped wife was here, protected by the Uzumaki? That would only sour the relationship between the Senju and Uchiha."

"... he doesn't have to know. If you and your friends at the gate are smart enough, you'll know not to alert them of my presence. As far as I know, it's case closed in Konoha. No one cares about my disappearance. You guys shouldn't either."

"Hmph. Such contemptuous words coming from someone like you."

"Thanks."

The rest of the journey was spent in silence, and when Karin dropped [Name] off at the door to Naruto's home, she warned the Kouhage, "Don't try to get up to anything while you're here. We've only just entered an era of peace and stability- don't be the reason it all comes caving down."

"What do you take me for?" sneered [Name], crossing her arms. "I'm just one woman. One woman can't possibly throw the whole world back into disarray. That's unheard of."

"You may be just a woman, but don't forget that Madara-sama is a man," shot back Karin. "And men don't take it well when they find out that their wives who ran away from them are currently snuggling up with the enemy."

"I am not 'snuggling up' with anybody."

"I beg to differ."

Nose in the air, Karin turned on her heel and walked away from [Name], leaving the [h/c] woman to take a deep breath as she reached forward and gently open the door.

"I'm coming in," she called out softly, removing her shoes at the genkan as she stepped into the house. "Naruto?"

As soon as [Name] placed a foot on the threshold, she was met by a young boy who looked just like Naruto leaping into the air with his fist outstretched, ready to deal with the intruder.