Normani

Having my parents with me in New York felt like the best decision in theory, but in reality, my home life went from peaceful to a living hell. Pam prided herself on coming into my room at random times, asking me how I was doing, offering to take me shopping, anything that involved us getting out of the house. Whenever I suggested that we invite Nicole alone, her mood change and she went back to the solitude of her bedroom, locking herself up and not coming out into dinner. Eddie was the exact opposite. He stayed gone most days and returned in varying moods. The first few days he was tired but still in high spirits, asking everyone how their day was while saying very little about his. His breaking point was Thursday, when he came home drenched in sweat, snapping on anyone that dared to speak to him. Pam, who was already suffering from cabin fever, snapped back, which lead to a two hour blow up where they called each other every name in the book. It took Nicole coming home from working a day shift at the bar to calm the two of them down. Friday couldn't have come fast enough. Gladys noticed my excitement as we sat down for breakfast.

"Someone's got a bright glow," she said, only taking her eyes off of her paper long enough to take a bite of eggs. "That means one of two things: you got some dick or you're tired of being cooped up in the house with your family."

I was not going to tell Gladys that I fucked her grandson in her house, so I opted to go with, "I'm happy to be here. Don't get me wrong; I love my family to death, but the entire situation with Preaux has changed them. Eddie spends all his time out doing God knows what and Pam is acting strange."

"And Nicole?"

"Nicole is Nicole. She comes homes, goes to sleep, and she's right back at work. She is much nicer to me though," I said, which was the only silver lining in this entire situation. Her efforts were small, but Nicole greeted me every morning when she came in from work and said goodbye on her way out. "Maybe I should invite her out to dinner or something..."

"As good as you cook? Why don't you make her dinner?" Gladys replied, giving her paper a ruffle. There was a knock at the door. "I'm not expecting anyone. I want you to go over to the door and don't answer it until I say so."

I took a leaf out of Urban's book, rising from my seat and gliding over to the door. I slid the peephole back a pinch to see who it was. Gladys' uninvited guest was tall, with broad shoulders and a menacing stance. I turned to give Gladys his description and saw her standing there wielding a gun. I pressed myself into the door, holding my chest as I was brought back to Savannah, standing at the end of Preaux's pistol.

"I...I...I don't know who it is," I stammered.

Gladys put down her gun and nudged her head. "Step to the side, sweetheart."

I stepped so far to the side I was halfway into the hallway closet when Gladys peeked through the peephole, her gun still tight in her hand. She let out an agitated sigh and swung the door open. I noticed that she had yet to put her gun away. The menacing figure I watched from the peephole stepped into the apartment, still retaining his eerie aura. While my appraisal of him was one of wariness, his was the exact opposite; I could feel him undressing me with those dark eyes of his, peeling off the wrap dress I wore and imagine doing something highly inappropriate to me in my boots he was eyeing.

"Did you come here to see me or my caretaker?" Gladys said, taking a protective stance in front of me.

His eyes widened in recognition. "This is Normani? Everything makes perfect sense now..." He reached over Gladys and held out his hand. "I'm Malone, Urban's brother and—"

"My mother's boyfriend," I reminded him, shaking his hand despite my mild disgust.

"On most days," he replied, holding my hand a little too long for comfort. I snatched it away and made a beeline for the kitchen, deciding to give Gladys and her other grandson some time to talk. "Gladys, how you doing? I thought I was gon see you at Briana's birthday party but I guess you only show up for certain grandchildren. It's all good though; like me, my kids don't need you."