Chapter 38

Her hands shook, and she squeezed her eyes shut as memories came flooding in. So many memories.

The Carters had not only been the center of the hunter community and the Moirai but also the center of the Rosewood community. They held weddings of close friends at their inn and diner. Tabitha couldn't remember a birthday that she didn't spend at the inn. She'd kissed her first boy there and had had her sweet sixteen there. Got her first car as a birthday present in their driveway and laughed and hugged them as she blew out her candles. Jonas was two years younger than her, but he was a close friend too. And now he was... alone. Parentless. Tabitha at least had her mom. He didn't have anyone now. And despite reading the journal entries Mr. Carter kept on her she still... felt like he was family. Had been family. And now he was just... gone. Gone like the wind.

Sebastian's hand touched her knee, but she hardly felt it, hardly felt his presence. First the files, then Chelsea and now... the Carters. How could this be happening?

"Sherri Kole just called..." her mom's voice cracked as she paused. Tabitha could hear the tears in her eyes and that just made Tabitha's own tears spill over. "She said it wasn't an accident. The car rammed right into them and then drove away, busted and broken..."

Tabitha shook her head. This couldn't be happening. Not the Carters. She'd known he might go after them but not like this. Tabitha pressed a hand over her eyes and nodded. "Alistair," she whispered.

Silence and then, "Yes... the police are searching for Jonas right now. We can only hope he's still at home. Are you still with Sebastian?"

Tabitha nodded and glanced to Sebastian whose eyes had gone dark. A murderous sort of dark that told her Alistair wouldn't get away with this. "Yeah."

"You have to find Chelsea and then... and then you need to get home, so we can recuperate and figure out what to do. I have a bad feeling Alistair isn't going to stop with just the Carters."

When Tabitha didn't answer, her mom's voice became more persistent and urgent. "Tabitha please, promise me you'll do this. The Carters are dead. The Carters. I'm doing what I can, and I know everyone else is too. We can't fight this. Brenda was... I went to high school with Brenda. And middle school. We grew up together. She... Tabitha, she was my best friend."

Her mom's voice fell, and Tabitha bit her lip, closing her eyes. Her heart hurt so bad. Hurt for Jonas, and for the Carters and for her mom. Tabitha couldn't imagine losing Chelsea. How did someone deal with the pain of losing their best friend? Her mom was in pain. She'd lost another loved one. And it was all Alistair's fault. all his fault for wanting revenge and being selfish. For being a monster.

Tabitha's jaw set, and she gritted her teeth, opening her eyes, the decision made. "I'm sorry Mom. You shouldn't have to deal with this. Sebastian... I will make this better. I'm going to fix this."

A pause and then her mom whispered, "Be careful."

Tabitha nodded and without another word turned her phone off. She set it down on the dashboard and stared at the road ahead. Just a few more minutes until they reached the Berkley house. Chelsea had to be there. She had to be alive. The Carters were dead... she couldn't lose Chelsea too.

"Are you ok?" Sebastian whispered, his hand still on her knee.

Tabitha took a deep breath and nodded, wiping the tears from her face. There would be time for crying and mourning later. For now, Chelsea needed her help and the Carters needed vengeance.

Mrs. and Mr. Carter wouldn't want Tabitha sitting on her butt crying while not only their son but their entire beloved community of Moirai, everything they loved so much, was in danger. She pushed back tears and closing off her heart. No crying, no remorse. Just action.