Chapter 5

"You," Tabitha accused.

Sebastian smirked, his eyes flickering from her bandaged-up knee to her face.

Her mom glanced between the two of them, confusion creasing her features. "You know Sebastian?"

Sebastian? She was on first name terms with him? When she'd said old friends of the family surely she didn't mean Sebastian... did she?

Tabitha ignored him and rounded on her mom. "Mom, what is going on here?" She jabbed a finger at Sebastian. "I tried to kill him this morning because he showed up in my lit class. I have one stake left and I am about ready to use it."

Her mom held her hands out as if trying to soothe a savage animal. "Calm down Tabitha. He's an old friend. A... well a very old friend of the Sterlings."

A very old friend of her family? How in the heck did that...? Tabitha didn't even know what to say. She rubbed her forehead and turned back to the small group. The two humans shifted uncomfortably, but Sebastian stood stone still, watching her with a steady gaze. Waiting to see if she blew a circuit again. Well she wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

"You know what?" Tabitha shook her head and held up a hand to stop her mom from trying to convince her Sebastian really was a friend. "I'm not dealing with this right now. My knee hurts and my head hurts and... I'm going upstairs. You have fun having a little tea party with your vampire friend Mom."

Tabitha pivoted on her heels, grabbed her backpack and ran upstairs, ignoring her mom trying to convince her to come back down and be civil. After the day she had had Tabitha didn't feel like being civil. She stopped at the top of the stairs and her curiosity winning over as she eavesdropped.

"I'm really sorry..." her mom said, "She usually isn't like this."

The woman on the couch spoke up, her voice laced with a mild Spanish accent. Thicker than the one Tabitha's mother had, but not so thick you couldn't understand what she was saying. "It's alright. This is a lot to take in. She's been doing this on her own for a long time, probably felt as if she needed to follow in her father's footsteps. Your family has been through so much Maria."

"Thanks Sandra. I'm sure I can talk to Tabitha and get her to understand what a big deal this will be for her. I think... it will be good for her."

What will be good for her? Tabitha scowled and gripped her backpack. Was her mom making decisions without asking her first? No way was she going to train with an organization that trusted vampires. And why did her mom let Sebastian–a vampire! – into their house? She invited him in! He could come in whenever he wanted now! He couldn't be trusted. What if he got hungry and turned on them?

And besides, how old of a family friend was he? Could he have known her great-grandparents? Or great-great-grandparents? The human guy spoke next as feet shuffled and got up from the couches, headed for the door. "I hope this doesn't mean we're uninvited to dinner?"

Mom laughed, and Tabitha hurried to hide behind the corner by the stairs. They made their way to the door. "Of course not. We'll see you tomorrow night. You too, Sebastian. I'm sure Tabitha will warm up to you."

A chuckle. Dark and predatory and monotone. "I wouldn't hold my breath. She puts up quite the fight."

Tabitha grinned.

"Well... you'll be in school tomorrow?"

The woman laughed. "Sebastian will be in school tomorrow and the next day and the next day after that. For as long as we decide to stay here. Besides it's not like he has anything better to do."