Chapter 2

'Ugh finally' I thought to myself irritatingly, "Why do they always have to go through my bag EVERYTIME I go through security?" I ask myself, I mean this is Iceland for crying outloud! We don't carry any guns or weapons, well, only of you consider a pencil, an eraser and a few color stencils weapons. I hurriedly put everything in my bag and start walking through the airport to find something to eat, I browse my surroundings to see if something interests me in any way. 'Hmmmm, let's see, Joe and the Juice?' I think to myself as I look at the chaotic setting of people waiting for their drinks and sandwiches and see people spread out on the chairs and booths with their luggage laying on the floor. I furrow my eyebrows; 'You can barely walk around the juice bar!' I decide to eat somewhere else and walk away from the crazy juice bar, I see a cafeteria wich has a much more laid back atmosphere 'Now that's more up my alley' I think happily. I take a sandwich for the long plane ride and pick something for myself to eat before I board the plane.

"Dömur mínar og herrar, velkomin um borð hjá Iceland air......"
I tune out the captain's introduction and start to make myself comfortable, I put on my Bose headphones and look out my window, I take in the beautiful scenery of my homeland....the beautiful mountains, some greener than others, the moss covered lavafields, blue sky with pink and orange hues that come from the setting sun. Oh how I will miss this beautiful island of fire and ice, all the travels that my family and I went on during my childhood. I sigh at the nostalgic memories and turn on my music

Í Átt Að Tunglinu - JóiPé

'Ahhhhh perfect' I sigh contently as the music plays pleasantly in my ears, I close my eyes and try to get some sleep, after all, this is nearly a 6 to 7 hour ride.

--------------------

I hear muffled words and feel someone shake my shoulder slightly, I groan feeling irritated that my sleep was being disturbed, I crack open my eyes and look at the person beside me with a displeased look, he sees my discomfort and mouthes words that I can't make out as he gives me a worried look. I move my headphones slightly away from my ear and ask him.

"Get ég hjálpað þér?" (Can I help you?)  I say with slight irritation but try to smile just to be polite. He looks at me with a confused and I start worry, do I have something on my face? I reach to touch my face and he laughs.

"Sorry, but I don't speak Icelandic. I was just gonna ask if you wanted anything from the trolley." He chuckles and points at the nearly passing trolley that the attendants were handing out snacks, sandwiches, etc.
I laugh feeling embarrassed and reach up to stroke my ear, a habit of mine that I have been doing ever since I was little to calm myself down, but my headphones stop me, I look at him with a small smile.

"Sorry, if I snapped at you" I apologized, "I get really grumpy when I'm tired" I give him a apologetic stare and that's when I start to observe him, he had brown hair with few natural blonde streaks, puppy brown eyes, he had defining festures that were pleasant to look at, he had a straight jaw that would melt any woman. His caramel coated skin complimented his casual wear very nicely that laid snugly against him. I admit it, he's handsome but not my type, I still want to get to know him since he might be the first American that I'll talk to before I land in JFK.
"Oh that's alright, I'm sorry I woke you up but I would have felt guilty if I hadn't woke you up" he explained himself, I could understand that because I too would do that.
"That's a valid excuse" I laugh and smirk at him, he laughs smiles nervously at me. "So, what's your name?" He asked curiously
"Do you want the difficult one or the easy one?" I ask him smugly, he gives me a confused smile as an answer.
"Okay, so my full name is Bláey Sól Óðinsdóttir, but you can call me Bláey" I say proudly "Wow that's a tounge twister" he says and releases a big breath as if my name really weighed on his shoulders.
"So,-" I straighten my back, turn to him and take off my headphones. "-what's your name?" I ask him cheerfully. "My name is Damian Mendoza" he introduced himself. 'Hmm, Mendoza? Sounds Latino, he's probably ethnically from South America' I wondered to myself. "That's a nice name" I compliment him, "How old are you Damian?" I decided to ask him since I couldn't quite make out his age from his overall look. "Oh is this, what, 21 questions?" He asked with a smirk, so, he's smug as well. Hah, not bad. I smirked back at him "Only if you want it to be, it's not like we can do anything better to kill time on this flying piece of metal" I declare.
"Yeah you're not wrong there,-" he admitted "-I'm 21 years old, I just finished some business of mine back in Iceland and heading back home to New York"
"Business?" I say curiously, I look at him with question in my eyes "What do you do?"
"Nope, that's not how this game works young one, now it's my turn to ask you a question" he says as he completely goes off subject. Now I'm really curious about what he does.
"Awww, come on Damian, please tell me!" I ask him pleadingly, he seems to get irritated for a second but he smiles at me and denies my request, saying that it was his turn to ask me. I sigh and finally give in and relax into my fake leathered seat that's slightly damp because of my sweat, I know it's gross but hey, it's not my fault they turn off the air conditioning a few times a hour.
"How old are you Bláey?" Damian asks me, " I'm 18 years old" I answer, he seems shocked. He looks at me with disbelief, "You know, New York isn't like Reykjavík, it's far more dangerous and of course bigger. It may be overwhelming" I scoff at his way of warning me, of course I know that. It's not like I'm going to the US completely unprepared and I may be only 18 but I know how to take care of myself. "Oh please," I huff and roll my eyes "I know what I'm doing Damian, besides I'm going to New York because I want to pursue my dream of being an artist. I'm looking for more inspiration and maybe sell my paintings there." I say with pride, I've gotten so many disapproving looks when I tell them that I want to be an artist, my relatives have tried to guide me off my own track by saying that 'Oh are you sure? Because you won't get be paid like a lawyer would' and 'You won't make living by splashing colors on a canvas and call it art' My parents always comforted me and told me to ignore them, to be strong, to hold my head high and pursue want I want to do with my life.
I'll prove them wrong and oh how I wish to witness the look on their faces when they'll see what big success I'll become.
"That's a big dream for a young girl like yourself, I say follow it!" He says excitingly and looks at me with admiration. But his look changes quickly to a serious one. "You'll still have to watch out for a gang that goes by the name, The Foot Clan." He tells me with his voice wavering a little. I give him a worried look but decide not ask him why he's so scared so I just not at him.
"Okay, so what do you do?" I ask him as I try to change the atmosphere. He gets awfully stoic as I ask him that, "I can't tell you, authorized personal only" he says shortly with a serious facade and looks at me with a scary glint in his eyes, I start to get worried as I frown. Okay, this guy is getting really suspicious but as I'm about question him further about his 'job', I'm interrupted by the flight attendant. "Ladies and gentlemen, please buckle up as we are to land in a few minutes....."

---------------------------------------

Damian walks me to the taxi that happend to be waiting for me, I turn and smile at him "Well, I guess this is were we say good bye" I say as I laugh nervously because honestly I'm starting to get a bad vibe from this guy and all I want to do is to get away as soon as possible.
"Yep I guess this is it, I hope you like it here in New York Bláey" he says sincerely, I smile at him and get into the cab. I give the driver my apartment address and I turn to wave to Damian, he's disappeared.
'Okay note to self, never make friends on an airplane' I think to myself as the car starts to drive away from the airport.

~~~~~~~~
Hello again! I hope you like how this story is going so far, please correct my grammar if you see any mistakes, thank you!

My Favorite Blues - TMNT 2014/2016 Leonardo storyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara