➵ 23 | N E G O T I A T I O N S

I woke up with the sun shining in my eyes. I groaned and pulled my pillow over my face and turned away.

When I failed at keeping the sun out, I sighed and got up. I put on my boots and walked out of Dis' room, looking for the others.

I found them suiting up for war. I was looking for a smaller armor since all the dwarves were bigger as me. Before I could look further, Thorin stopped me and leaded me away. The moment no one could see us, he held out a tunic of white mail.

"You are going to need this. Put it on." He demanded.

I accepted it and slipped it over my head.

"This vest is made of silver steel - mithril it was called by my forebears." He continued.

I looked up at him, eyes full of wonder.

"No blade can pierce it."

I bowed lightly. "Thank you, my king."

A flash of pain appeared on his face and for I moment, I thought my old Thorin was back. But when I blinked again, it was gone.

Night arrived quickly and I stood on the balcony, enjoying the fresh air that flew through my hair.

A noise made me look up and I saw Bilbo sneaking out while holding a rope under his arm. What in Durin's name is he going to do?

I walked quietly over to him and watched the hobbit struggle with the rope in amusement.

"You need help with that?"

Bilbo almost let go of the rope and turned around quickly, shocked when he saw me.

"Keira," He began, "it's not what its looks like."

I smiled and raised my eyebrow.

He sighed and took something from his jacket. My mouth fell open when I recognized the Arkenstone. I strode quickly over to him and put the stone back, looking around to see if someone else had seen it.

"Don't show it, he will only get worse," I began, taking the rope and making a knot. "Here you go, I'll be waiting for you."

He smiled in thanks and carefully descended.

I saw him running towards the tents and hoped that whatever plan he had, it would work.

Bilbo came back in the early morning and gave me a thumbs up. I gathered my weapons when I saw Thranduil and Bard riding towards Erebor, hoping no one got killed at the end of the day.

Thorin took a bow and an arrow. My eyes widened and before I could stop him, the arrow pierced through the air and sunk into the ground right before Thranduil and Bard, who immediately halted in surprise.

"I will put the next one between your eyes!" Thorin threatened.

Thorin drew his bow back again and the dwarves on the wall cheered. Thranduil started at Thorin angrily, then slightly tilted his head. Instantly, several rows of Elves near the front of the army pulled out their bows, nocked their arrows, and aimed at us, all in one fluid motion. The dwarves' cheering cut off abruptly as all of them but Thorin ducked behind the ramparts. After holding this pose for a moment, Thranduil raised his hand, and the Elves easily put away their arrows. Thorin still had his bow drawn though. I silently cursed under my breath.