➵ 20 | D R A G O N

"What was that?" Bain asked afraid.

"That, my lad, is a living dragon," Oin replied.

I stood up. "We have to go."

"Will it kill us?" Tilda asked, obviously afraid. Bard took a black arrow he had hid. "Not if I kill it first."

I took his arm, stopping him. "Whatever stupid plan you have in mind, I'm in."

He nodded curtly and I turned to Tauriel. "Please, get them safe."

She nodded and I hugged her. She froze but hugged me back. "Thank you," I whispered.

"Daylor, Faelar, help Tauriel getting Bain, Tilda and Sigrid out of this town in time, please." They nodded, knowing they couldn't change my mind.

"Be careful Keira," Faelar said.

"We love you," Daylor continued.

"I love you too," I said, hugging them. I looked back one more time before following Bard.

"So," I began, "what's this plan of yours?"

He looked sideways at me. "I promise you, you won't going to like it."

I swallowed. "Well, let's get this over with then."

We ran towards a high building where some sort of crossbow stood. Unfortunately for us, Smaug decided to destroy the tower.

Great.

We searched for some parts of the crossbow and them ran then towards another high building. Bard took the black arrow and looked at me. "Do you trust me?"

"I don't have that much of a choice, do I?" I replied and he shook his head. I stood before him and he put the arrow on my shoulder. I decided not to look too much around but to concentrate instead on Bard.

"When this is over, we should get some tea together," I suggested.

He looked up at me. "I think we will need something stronger."

I nodded slightly. "Aye."

"You think this will save you?" A voice from behind me shouted. You think seeing a dragon fly towards you would be creepy, well I can assure you, not seeing him is even creepier. I looked into Bard's eyes, trying to hide my fear.

"You got this," I told him. He nodded and concentrated. The next thing I knew, the arrow flew away and a dragon's roar was heard. I turned around and saw Smaug falling towards us.

Bard grabbed me and together we sprang of the tower into the very cold water. I swam to the surface and looked around for Bard. When he didn't appeared, I dived under and saw him struggling with a rope that pulled him into the depth. I took a dagger and cut him loose. Together we swam back at the surface and I pulled him with me out of the water. We looked at each other and started laughing.

"Nice shot," I told him. "Dragonslayer."

He shook his head. "I can't believe I did that."

"I can't believe I agreed to that," I replied laughing.

He helped me up and together we walked towards the others. Daylor and Faelar ran to me when they saw me and hugged me tight.

"Guys it's not that I died or something!" I exclaimed.

They let me go and just sighed. I walked around them towards Tauriel. "Missed me, Mellon?" She laughed and embraced me. "I did."

I saw Oin and Bofur were preparing a boat for us to go to Erebor. I looked back at Tauriel. "You wanna come with us?"

Before Tauriel could reply, Legolas ran towards us. "You coming, Tauriel?"

I looked at Tauriel and smiled at her. "Whatever you decide, I'll still be your friend." She smiled back and followed Legolas.

I turned around and climbed into the boat. I gave a last glance at Bard and his children and looked forward to the Lonely Mountain. Daylor and Faelar peddled and we son reached the edge of the lake. I stepped off the boat and admired the ruins of Dale. It must have been a beautiful city.

"It was a beautiful city," Oin told me, probably reading my mind.

I smiled at him and made my way towards the gigantic dwarf statues. "There," I said pointing at the stairs.

It climbed the stairs carefully not to slip. We came out on an open door.

This is it, I thought, we have reached our destination.