Prompt: Hair Touching, Marecal

She didn't sleep well, and he didn't sleep well, and sometimes that meant they both didn't sleep but instead laid on the bed together breaking the silence only with occasional, irritated huffs. He tried one, seeking out whether tonight would be one of those nights or if he'd be alone in his wakefulness. She didn't move or mimic. He huffed again. No response.

He rolled onto his side without regard for her, hoping she'd awaken as he shifted. He weighed his options. Wake her and she might me angry. Wake her and she might be horny and maybe that could go places... but really he just wanted her to wrap her arms around him and hold him until he fell asleep. And that was too selfish to propel him into action.

He risked only one subtle touch on her arm and then guilt beat him back another inch. He clutched his hands up under his chin, pulling his arms in tight to his body. Her hair splayed soft across the pillow tickled his fingertips. Slowly, he reached and grabbed one curling lock and moved his hand in closer to her head, giving himself slack. He carded the curl between his fingers, around the tips and over his knuckles. He shifted forward and smelled the essence of Mare and let the silky strands slide against his lips. He took a whole handful and crushed it in his fist, holding onto her in the darkness. Fast, too fast, he woke alone in the morning, his fingers still kneading the air.