Tears

Iker looked at the clock. It was one and Avadh was yet to come home. He know that the loss caused is huge and in a way he felt guilty.

Avadh had come for him. A selfish part of him was also glad that Avadh was not here when they came. Avadh is very powerful, but what if something happened to him! That part made him guiltily glad that Avadh was not here at the time of the attack.
Avadh got home by around two and saw Iker was awake.

"It's really late, where on earth were you, that too after such an attack? "asked Iker.

"Pack meetings as you very well know," said Avadh.

"You are angry," said Iker.

"It was an exhausting day, Iker, I need some sleep," said Avadh.

Iker did not ask any questions. He felt sad and rebuked himself for being affected.

Things continued the same way in the days that followed. Iker rarely saw Avadh. When he did see the man, he was always curt.

"Dinner?" asked Iker looking at Avadh who was not even looking at him. The only comfort he had was that he knew Avadh won't touch anyone other than him. He knows the man inside out, he is kind and pure and secondly, he would know. Like in every werewolf bond, the other would know. And, in Iker's own case, he knew that Avadh is aware that he is the only person Iker has let in and the only one he ever will. That ruled out the misunderstanding part.

Then there is the fact that Iker did not conceive. Iker had been a bit sad as he was not with child yet. He was not ready to be a parent, but still, he knew Avadh would want that. Could it be the reason why Avadh was distant?

Or maybe he blamed Iker for the tragedy that occurred last week.

Iker was looking at Avadh for a response.

"Not hungry," said Avadh.

Iker did not say anything after that. He just went to bed.

Avadh felt his insides burn as he looked at Iker. Whenever he looks at Iker he could feel his resolve breaking. To be honest, Avadh was scared. The way Iker made him feel dimmed everything in his life, even his responsibilities and duty. He just hoped Iker would understand and forgive him for hurting him like this. Avadh couldn't sleep.  

He looked at Iker and moved closer to him and kissed on his forehead.

"I am so sorry, Iker," he said and looked away. He turned away and slowly slid into a restless sleep.

----------------------------------------

"It's annual day at Tara's school. Everyone is going. You-" started Iker.

"I have a meeting. I will be late, don't wait up," said Avadh.

"But-"

"Iker, you already know about my priorities," said Avadh and walked out.

Iker looked away. That was the last straw. He tried to stop caring. He didn't know what to do. He was Iker, and he never ever let himself be vulnerable like this. 

------------------------------------------

It had been two long weeks and Avadh had reinforced the security in all the borders and set up new security measures. Iker had stopped talking to him a week before. He knew he was responsible for it and he was the one who wanted distance. Iker had tried. He was a man of pride and yet he tried foregoing the pride.

Avadh also knew how Iker rarely opens up. And when he did open up for him, Avadh had shut the door on his face. By doing so, he knows he probably shut the door to his heart too. But he can't be affected. He knew it was not fair to Iker- but Avadh was not just a husband and a mate. He had a lot of things to do, which concerned more lives.

He still hears his grandfather's words.

"If only your father cared more about the kingdom than about his mate- we wouldn't be seeing this tragedy."

Avadh had a younger sister. Her name was Anaya. She was younger than Viraat. When the rogues ambushed them during a family celebration, many were defenceless. Twenty of his own family members were killed that day including his grandmother and sister. She was too young to be killed so brutally. 500 werewolves of different packs were killed that day. A massacre. Avadh had blamed his father for a long time.

And then when his father died, he regretted not telling him that he was forgiven. He now knew you can't choose to not love or care about someone. You just fall. He loved, loves and will always love his Iker. But the thought of letting himself go completely scares him now. That attack was like a Deja Vu.

He heard the cupboard open. Iker had a bag in his hand. He was packing.

"Where are you going to?" asked Avadh

Iker did not look up.

"Ilse," said Iker.

Avadh froze.

"You are leaving. When were you going to tell me?" said Avadh.

"Why does it matter? My being here does not make any difference. Our bond is settled. I live here or in Ilse- it shouldn't matter to you. You are not going to weaken because your mate is away," said Iker.

Avadh looked at him.

"Iker, settling the bond is not the only thing that matters," said Avadh.

"Oh, is it not. So maybe I am an idiot," said Iker and moved to the door.

Avadh knew it was not fair. He was the one keeping a distance from  Iker and he was the one trying to keep him here. He was hoping to try and keep a balance.  

The thought of Iker leaving killed him inch by inch.

"I forbid you from leaving, Iker," said Avadh.

Iker turned and looked at him in cold fury. 

"How dare you? How dare you try and dictate what I do when I have nothing- nothing left here?" said Iker, his hands moving between themselves and the room.

He stormed out. Avadh watched as he left with Ma. He was surprised that Iker was able to break his order.

"They are going to see Ahem. It would have bound him if he had intended to stay away for more than a couple of days," said Atrey silently looking up from his book.

"You are not doing right by that kid. He takes care of your whole family, your kingdom, your pack and you and yet- I respect you a lot brother, but this is beyond acceptable. I don't care what that stupid coot of a man said about dad, he loved us all and that is what helped us survive. Not the distance and isolation that you are doing now," said Vansh.

"I agree with Vansh," said Atrey.

"It has been days since he smiled even once, brother," said Piya.

"Mostly Tara has been keeping him busy," said Arav.

Avadh knew all this. He knew that Iker was doing all his duties towards the family which he has ignored in favour of his people.

---------------------------

Hi, So what do you think is going to happen next?