32. undisclosed desires

Start from the beginning

This was the right move, it had to be "What came up?" Elena asks and I stared at Kai for help but he was too busy giving me a suspicious look, he was probably planning his next move fully convinced this was nothing but a trap, I knew I would.

"A witch, from New Orleans," I blurted out not sure of what to say "I asked her if we could meet because I think she might know something about..." about what? I didn't even know what I was saying "a spell" I added, making Kai snort for some reason and I cut the distance between us to place my hand over his mouth before he couldn't stop himself from letting out a full laugh.

"A spell?" Elena asked with doubt and I removed my hand from Kai's mouth, giving him a warning look "are you with someone?" and Kai gave me several nods.

"Yes, the witch" I replied and he mouthed his own name but I shake my head "her name's Beth" and he raises his eyebrow at me, dramatically.

"Can't Bonnie help you?" she asked and I was about to say something but I heard Bonnie's voice on the other end "here's Bonnie, you're on speakerphone"

"What? No, why?" how was I supposed to lie my way out of an already complicated situation with everyone listening in? Lying to Elena was one thing but lying to a psychic and a paranoid vampire, who loved teaming up, well, that was impossible.

"What spell?" Damon's voice makes Kai roll his eyes and I bit my lower lip not laugh at his reaction.

"A spell to locate something" I shrugged "Bonnie knows her"

"Who?" Bonnie asks and I hear Elena's voice after "yes, Beth, she's an old rude witch, very senile but I guess she'll be able to help you" but there was no Beth, which meant Bonnie knew I was still with Kai and she was covering it up for some reason "be careful, you know what they say about old witches" and Kai rolls his eyes again, only this time I do laugh.

"Sorry but we can celebrate tomorrow, I promise, I just..." I pause, staring at Kai, getting lost in the grey-blue of his eyes for a second "I kind of need to do this but I'm very happy for you and Enzo, no one deserves this more than you do"

"Thank you, Maddie and thank Beth for the spell too, call me if you need anything"

"Don't come home too late!" Elena shouts from somewhere.

"I might stop at a B&B or a motel, I'm too tired to drive back" I lied and Kai suppressed a smirk.

"We can always come pick you up kid" Damon offered and Kai shook his head.

"No- no need, it's fine, I don't mind" I said in a heartbeat "you guys should celebrate, have a good one for me"

"It's okay, I'll do a protection spell" and I thank Bonnie in my head for helping me, yet again.

"Thanks, Bonnie"

"Just be careful, remember Kai's in town, so keep an eye out and call us if you see him, no reckless moves" Elena said with worry.

"I'm sure you guys have a better shot at finding him in some random bar but will do" I reassured her and Kai narrowed his eyes at me.

"Then good thing he's not welcomed in my bar" I hear Damon's voice followed by a few laughs and I frown.

"I should go," I said before hanging up, not waiting to hear the rest in case Damon made another joke "sorry" I apologized before placing my phone back in my pocket.

"Lying to your family? That's hot" he joked and I bit my lower lip to stop myself from chuckling "so you're really staying?" he asks and the tone of surprise in his voice makes my heart ache a little.