~ 2

Chapter 2 |

Michael's Pov

"Five... Four... Three... Two... One! Happy New Year's!" they shouted, and I cringed.

There's no where that I can go where I have any peace and quiet except my house, but that place is completely silent, and it's damn near abandoned. Still, it was a mistake to come to a bar on New Year's Eve.

"Happy New Year's," the calm voice of a woman said from beside me. I grunted in response, and she giggled. "Bad night, huh?"

"You could say that." I commented. I took a swig of my beer as she requested a shot of patron. I wanted nothing more than to get out of here as quick as physically possible. I shoved my hand into my pocket trying to find money to pay for my drinks.

"Well, it's New Year's, so maybe you could change that, you know?" she commented, and I narrowed my eye at the brown-haired woman.

"That hasn't worked for me in the last five years, and I'm sure it's not going to be any different tonight," I grumbled. I finally dug a twenty dollar bill out of my coat pocket and slammed it onto the bar for the bartender to get. I hopped off the stool and headed for the door.

"Wait!" the lady called from behind me as she tried to keep her tiny red dress down over her thighs while she ran to me.

Round and round the ceiling fan went. I stared up at the unfamiliar ceiling, wondering how I found myself in this type of situation again; in a stranger's bed with nothing covering me, but a bed sheet. One night stands are the worst for me. It's not the same as sharing yourself with someone that you love, and it never will be the same. I'm just pathetic, and I will be for the rest of my life because there's no way I'll ever see her again. Even if I did see that one person again, she'd never look at me the same, but I wished more than anything that I could hear her say those three words to me again.

I pulled back the sheets and found my boxers through the darkness before pulling them up my legs and finding the rest of my clothing that were strewn all over the room. I clumsily bumped into the nightstand, and the lamp teetered back and forth, causing the girl to stir in her sleep. I didn't even know her name; although I believe it started with a B. I ducked out of her room quickly, and I found a piece of paper and pen on her kitchen counter, so I decided to leave a note.

Had a nice time. -Michael

I pulled my coat over my arms and dashed out of the door. The Sun was slowly rising over the city, so the sky appeared orange, and it was pretty nice. I began to walk in the direction of the bar where I left my car when my phone began to ring in my pocket.

"Hello?" I answered.

"I've been trying to reach you all night. What the hell have you been doing?" My acquaintance, Nick, nagged over the phone. He was always trying to get me to do the next big thing that could get me back on top, but I would never be on top like I was years ago. At this point in my life, nothing is the same, and it's probably best that it's that way now because it never will be the same.

"I was out," I answered.

"Obviously, but we have shit to do, and I need you to care a little bit more about your money," he said.

"What the fuck is this about?" I snapped.

"The Devilles are trying to shut New York down, and I know you don't want that to happen because you'll be taken out quick," he told me.

I rubbed my chin, contemplating what I should do. "What are you thinking?"

"Team up."

"What the hell do you mean by that? I don't work well on teams if you hadn't noticed," I said.

Four years ago, when my life seemed to disintegrate right before my eyes, my siblings and I went our separate ways, and I haven't really spoken to any of them since then; except for Janet of course. They were all done with me, and I wasn't willing to work with them for much longer either. Things had gotten too stressful.

"You know Chanel Chanel, right?" he asked.

"Not personally, but I've heard of her." I said.

"She's trying to take them down too, Mike. This is the perfect chance to get on top again, and we'll have the city in our hands. You won't have to worry anymore, you know?"

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"You're right. It's a great idea, and you're going to meet me at the Crown Lounge on Thursday around eleven, okay? You don't have a choice unless you want to die," he said sternly, then the dial tone buzzed in my ear loudly. I stared at the phone like it had done something wrong before shoving it into my pocket irritably.

After walking two miles in the freezing cold, I finally approached my car in front of the bar. I turned the heat on full blast and groaned to myself when I realized that I'd be sitting in traffic for a while. I searched through the glove compartment and found my flask that was full of whiskey. I gulped it down quickly, and it stung my throat, but warmed me up instantly. I leaned my head against the steering wheel for a moment as I tried not to cry.

I'd done a lot of crying in the last five years unfortunately. My life was so depressing, and I'd thought of taking myself out plenty of times, but there was always someone there to talk me out of it. In a way, I had already lost my life when she walked out of that door that day because she was my life, but I was still physically here. I was like a zombie, and I didn't do much, but grunt, eat, drink, sleep, and shoot people occasionally. My life was this way because of myself; I could only blame myself for my stupidity, and I regret it everyday. Of course, I lied to myself and everyone else around me so many times. I missed Kyela with all of the power in my body after she left, and I still did. When I thought that the feeling would get easier, I was wrong. The years went on, the drinks got stronger, and the sadness got deeper.

Now, I was being forced to work beside some woman that I don't even know. I hadn't fought alongside any woman other than my sisters and Kyela, so this would be very uncomfortable and difficult for me to do. I really didn't want to do it anyway, but my life was on the line, and I'd been trying to take down the Devilles for a long time. Maybe something good could come out of this. Besides, I heard that Chanel Chanel was extremely intimidating to everyone, and there was never anyone that really stood up to her because she'd shoot you if you even coughed the wrong way. She seemed harsh, and I hadn't heard of anyone being that way other than me, so she must be the real deal, which scares me a little. She was widely known, but no one knew what she looked like except those that worked for her because anyone that entered her realm never made it out alive if they'd done wrong by her, so I've been told. Her name even made people cringe.

Things are about to start getting crazy, so get ready for the drama. I hope you caught the clues. :)

What do you think about their separate lives? Comment to let me know.

Mickeythemoonwalker ♡