Chapter Nine ~ Lovers meeting

Start from the beginning

She moved closer to him until there was no space between them at all and all that surrounded her was him. He smelled of the earth, of dewdrops and of the forest, it was utterly entrancing.

His breath fanned over her cheeks and neck. Unconsciously, she leaned in until their lips were almost touching.

Hesitating, she stopped. What was she doing?

She began to pull back but his fingers hooked beneath her chin, pulling her back with them.

Enid lost herself in his eyes, that were always so sure and affectionate.

And then he kissed her.

His warm lips caressed hers and she was undone.

His arms moved to her waist, gripping it and bringing her into the delicious warmth of his chest. Beneath his touch, Enid trembled, her knees threatening to give way beneath her.

When he pulled away she felt as though she had lost a part of herself and wanted it to start all over again.

Aneurin closed his eyes, resting his forehead against hers. His arms remained wrapped around her waist. And at that moment, she would not have wished to be anywhere else in the world.

Enid did not dare to speak, not even whisper. She did not wish to break the moment.

Time seemed to stand still and so as long as she stayed here in his arms she knew she would be safe.

But that was not to be.

Reluctantly, he pulled away from her, his thumb brushing against her cheek.

"I need to go." A faint flicker of disappointment flashed in his eyes the very moment the words left his lips.

"Don't be too disappointed though, I am always watching over you, little one."

He smiled brightly and became a work of art. And then, just as quickly as he had come, he had once again disappeared into the trees.

Had it not been for his cloak still wrapped around her, she would have thought it all a dream

And what a beautiful dream it would have been.

In a heightened state, Enid walked back through the forest to her family's cottage.

The house was dark and quiet, just as she had left it.

Stepping inside, she gently pushed the door shut behind her.

To her horror, her mother was sat by the fire. Upon hearing the door shut, she turned to face Enid.

"Enid, you have a new cloak I see."

Stiffly, Enid looked down at the cloak wrapped around her shoulders.

"Where have you been?" Her mother rose from her seat, slowly making her way towards her like a wolf stalking its prey.

"I went to the waterfall."

"Why the waterfall so late at night?"

"I couldn't sleep."

Her mother scoffed.

"Did you really think I wouldn't know he was a Fae?"

"He's not like the others, he is different!" Enid replied, tears welling up in her eyes. Any moment now her mother would lock her in her room and never allow her to see Aneurin again.

"Different? It's all an act, Enid. Those are a girls words and like a girl he has treated you!-" She flung her hand into the air before her, pointing a finger at Enid "-do not think I raised you to be so foolish. I already have had one foolish daughter and she was murdered! Do not think I am going to lose you as well!"

She began to weep, her hand shaking as she lifted it to her lips.

"Mother, he is very kind to me. He is a good Fae. The Fae that killed Rose had dark hair, darkness was all it knew. But Aneurin...he is of the light, mama." She whispered, salty tears running down her cheeks.

Her mother outstretched her arms and brought Enid into a hug. Pressing a kiss to her head and sobbing into her hair.

"Oh Enid, I have two of my girls married off already, you are all I have left."

Beyond the small window, the Fae ring lit up in the moon's light. It was then that Enid realised one thing: she had come across the faes for a reason, it was with them that her destiny lay.