Her betrayal still stung, but at least she didn't lie about it as easily as Noah and Travis had. She had been overly quiet... uncomfortable. At the time I hadn't realised why, but it made sense now.

"Oh, just a painting. What did you want to look at?" I asked, doing my best to maintain a straight face and not let the reminder of Jasmine affect me too deeply.

"Ah, it doesn't matter now." She stared at the painting for a few moments longer. I wonder if she recognised Jasmine too – she had been the one to take her to Caelum in the first place. "Shall we go?"

I nodded my consent, and we turned to leave. I let Lori lead the way again. I was keen to get out of the store, but fate seemed to have other plans.

Right as we were walking below that sign made of slate, I heard the unmistakeable sound of rope snapping. I looked up in shock, both pieces of rope had broken, and the large piece of heavy slate began to fall, right where my mother was standing.

I gasped and reached up, the slate landing on my open hands and instantly breaking into three pieces. I was able to quickly grab the pieces and throw them aside – far faster than any human possibly could have. Afraid of being seen. I grabbed my mother and rushed us away to a slightly busier area, and all before the slate hit the ground.

Stopping behind a thick pillar in the hope that no one would see us move so quickly, I breathed a quick sigh of relief. At times it could feel as though the world was out to get us – I was just glad that we were safe.

And then I remembered, my mother... who had no idea I had such abilities. I turned to her quickly (but not too quick). Her face was a mask of shock, and maybe even a little fear. "Mum! Um... I can explain!"

And then she surprised me – by bursting out laughing. "I'll be honest, I thought you would last a little longer before slipping up."

"I... what?" I was at a loss for words.

"I know what you are Emilia. What you all are. I was pretending not to know because I'm smart enough to know they wouldn't let me return to Earth otherwise." She seemed to smile slightly, shaking her head.

"I... I don't know what you're talking about." I stuttered, shocked. How could she possibly know?

"I might not have been completely aware these past few years, but there's one thing I've always known. I knew what Acacius was from the beginning. And that meant I knew what you were – not that you ever showed any signs of it, not until now. I didn't want to tell you when you were young, and by the time you were mature enough to handle it... I was too far gone to tell you." She sighed and reached across to tuck a strand of my hair back behind my ear. "My dear Emilia, I have been so worried about you these past few weeks. I knew I was in Heaven, so I figured they must have got you. Frankly it was a relief to see you were alive."

"But... how did you know? How did you know that any of them were even looking for me?" I asked, confused.

She shrugged. "I had a feeling when those angels showed up that it was for you. I tried to take you to the lake to warn you... but being so close to them... It was like I could see the light, I just had to get closer..."

"I'm glad you did." I told her. "You wouldn't be healed now if you hadn't."

She nodded. "That's true." I looked cautiously around at the crowd, wanting to ensure that no one had witnessed my fast movement. I couldn't believe that it was my first day on Earth unsupervised and I had already slipped up.

And then I saw him.

In the middle of a moving crowd he stood completely still. Lightly tanned, with dark blonde hair, and piercing eyes the colour of dark chocolate. Eyes that were fixated on me.

I stared back for a moment, trying to decipher his expression. He didn't look threatening exactly, but there was no friendly smile on his face either.

"Mum?" I said, briefly turning back to look at her. "I, um. Need the toilet, could you meet me in the food court? I'll be quick." The food court was a perfect place to send her to, it was on the complete other side of the building, far away from this mysterious stranger.

She seemed surprised by my request but must have seen some kind of urgency in my expression that made her leave without question. She leant forwards to give me a brief kiss on the cheek before walking away, turning back to give me a worried look.

I waited until she was gone to approach the stranger, but he was already approaching me. I could practically feel the power surrounding him as he came closer, and I knew that without a doubt he was an angel. The only question was, which side is he on?

I found myself stumbling backwards as he neared me, to the point where my back became pressed against the wall.

"That wasn't very human." He commented, in the smooth melodic tone of voice I had come to expect from angels.

The stranger had angular, handsome features – like an angel, he was beautiful. But there was something about him, an edge, that made me certain he was one of the fallen.

"And yet I know you are. I can hear your heartbeat." He continued to speak, without waiting for a reply. "What are you?"

"Nothing that concerns you." I said firmly. I wanted to get away from the wall, but he was stood so close to me that I couldn't do so without pushing him away and causing a scene – something I definitely didn't want to do.

He laughed, it reminded me of the sound of bells – it seemed far too pure for someone I knew was on the bas side. "You're far feistier than I would expect from someone sided with Heaven. But perhaps I'm wrong, and you've yet to choose?"

I didn't reply, he held my eye contact for a few moments before finally taking a step back from me. "I'm Andrew, by the way."

I stayed silent.

He laughed again and turned his back to me as he walked away. I felt a little put down by that – the fact that he was willingly turning his back to me and make himself vulnerable made me feel like he didn't see me as a threat.

He paused for a moment and turned to face me. "You didn't tell me your name."

"Emilia." I whispered, cautious.

He chuckled and turned away again, "Never thought I'd see the day they let a Nephilim live."

_______________

Please vote/comment if you liked it! I'm aiming for about 40 chapters currently, but there will be a sequel!

Thanks!