Chapter 7

Crastell eyed the Iron Bay, its old stone walls marked history before Aldea conquered. Bringing his army of six thousand was almost suicidal, and he could not believe he was doing this. Jared’s offer was too sweet to refuse.

All I want is to bring house Otherys into a new light, to be a great house ruling over the Iron Bay.

Jared was probably doing some damage in the surrounding villages, and surely Damon Thorne’s attention was caught. But in his keep, he has roughly nine thousand soldiers, some knighted.

Will my six thousand be enough? My soldiers are of better quality and training, I make sure of that. But will my quality beat Damon’s quantity?

Crastell had faith in his men, warriors who are willing to die for him. They all swore themselves to me. They will not flee unless I call a retreat.

Crastell urged his army to advance. This part of the land was barren. There are no fruitful harvests, even when the skies are gray. A few droplets started to pour.

“We will fight in the shade,” Crastell said to no one in particular. “And the rain will wash away the blood.”

They arrived, and the gate was already opened. They scouted my army, and have indentified me. Jared was right, Damon would open his gates for us.

Crastell was greeted by Lord Damon himself. He grew a stubble, the only sign of a man grown. He was young, early in his twenties and already a lord of a great house. His hair was black and cut short. He was handsome but dressed in plain black clothing. He wore an iron ring, a symbol of his power.

“Gray afternoon, Lord Crastell. I’m very pleased you have come here with your army. We are in such dire need of strength. Shall we speak inside?”

“Thank you, my lord.” 

The two men entered first, and the soldiers followed. Crastell was immediately brought to the keep, low and old. It wasn’t majestic like the ones in Jade Stone. It was simple, but never must one underestimate the wealth of Iron Bay.

A servant took the horses of the lords and they continued inside, avoiding the heavy downpour. “How’s the ports going?” Crastell asked.

“Amazing, my friend. It has given me enough to buy the needs of Iron Bay and a lot more. I hope you are managing the fertile lands well?”

“Really well, my lord. But it isn’t time for harvest yet.”

The court room was plain and dull, except for a long table stretching along the middle aisle. The high seat was at the end, but no décor was in sight. The seat was of old stone, deteriorating slowly over the years. Damon offered Crastell a seat, which he accepted. Damon sat across from him.

“Now, I have a problem, Crastell. The villages close to my hold are being attacked. Goods are stolen and the survivors who lived to tell the tale are also complaining. I need help with this band of killers. I was hoping for your own set of men, but I think you took it a little too far.”

“My lord, it is better to be prepared. I am more than willing to offer you all my strength.”

“That is most generous of you, Crastell. Now, I think this is a matter left to one of your captains?”

“My lord, I prefer to command my army myself.”

“You were always the courageous one,” Damon said. “I am most pleased with you.”

Crastell stood up, which puzzled Damon. “My lord, I shall take my leave at once and hunt for this band of murderers. Will you accompany me to address my men?”