Prologue

-Curiosity killed the cat-

Curiosity killed the cat"

Her dad always told her the same thing over and over again. He hated that she was always in the wrong place at the wrong time just because of how curious she was. Like that time when she was sixteen years old and her curiosity lead her to find out more about Ms. Loroi and the star quarterback suspicious behavior. She was caught hidden under a desk right after she witnessed how Miss Loroi, her English teacher, and James Galloway had the most steamy kissing session she has ever seen at her young innocent age.

This lead to years of bullying from the older classes for snooping on people. They never forgot how she made them lose the championship when she called on them and the school expelled James. Not only she had a good eye for trouble but she was also a mini version of Harvey Specter, she needed justice it didn't mattered how many trouble it could cause her.

It wasn't her fault to have a great eye for detail and when those details were suspicious she couldn't stop herself but to follow the mystery. That's how she ended up here. Inside a large office materials closet witnessing the most awful crime she would have ever imagined by the hands of someone she knew. Someone she trusted to never hurt her or her family.

“  You need to understand that we have been doing everything in our hands to keep you quiet and you haven't understand the message”  his voice was more raspy and low as he walked over to the man on the floor who he beat the hell up just a few seconds ago.

He took a pocket knife out of his expensive blazer’s pocket and pressed it against Jamal Jenkins throat while he took advantage of his weakness. Jamal was still bleeding from all the beating and too tired to resist him as he laid on the floor. Jamal was a fixer.  Whatever mess these CEOs got into he was the one to erase it. This gave him the advantage to have and keep information about his clients.

“ I'm not going to back down, Marco! I have all the evidence I need to put you in jail.  Even if you kill me right here someone else will look forward to see your days in prison”  Jamal yelled at him with what he had left of energy. Behind the effort to talk the bravery in his words was something Neema admired. He spit out blood while she saw Marco pressing the knife harder into his neck and Jamal's dark eyes reflecting determination. He wasn't going to give him what he wanted. 

“ You looked for this upon yourself, Jamal. You only had to follow my order and you wouldn't be here. You betrayed me and didn't have the guts to kill her.” he spit each word with rage and frustration.  His caramel eyes turned dark chocolate as he lifted up his body and when he stood up he kicked Jamal on his rib cage.

The painful scream that came out of his mouth broke her heart. She needed to do something before things ended bad for Jamal.

She had to press her hand hard against her mouth to shut the scream that was on the verge of going out of her dry throat.

She knew him.  Marco Valentine, the second CEO in charge of the company and her father's partner. By the way he talked to Jamal she understood the man was in trouble and the worst part was that she couldn't help him. It also kept her more curious about what could have he wanted to hide and who he planned to kill.

Jamal was indeed a fixer, but from what she have heard from her father,  murder wasn't on his list of abilities.

Her heart beat faster by the second as the thoughts of this discovery hit her senses. Marco, the same man that had dinner with them every Friday, the one who taught her how to drive and with whom she went to for advice when she was about to decide her future, was the same man almost killing someone in front of her. She felt tears rolling down her soft caramel skin while she tried to give sense to everything she has heard.