17 . The Wounded Sailor

Start from the beginning

"H... Hi! Nice to meet you. Uh... but... how did you... I mean how do you know me?" I heard her ask softly.

"Oh that's easy. I saw your picture on the website." Alana replied with a laugh. "Don't look so spooked, Evelyn. I just read all your stories."

"You do!?"

"Each one of them. I never miss any of yours or Adam's stories on the magazine. It's so great to finally meet you in person. I feel like I already know you." Alana was bustling with energy. I turned to find Ev's wide eyes on me. I held back my smile and looked around the room, refusing to help her like she wanted me to. All the guys were standing awkwardly around the room, eyeing Alana from the corner of their eyes. They were all waiting to be introduced.

"I don't know if this sounds creepy but I always felt a personal connection to you," Alana continued, demanding Ev's attention. "Miss Cranks and her annoying little brother are me and Cole in real life." She reached out to ruffle Colin's hair, who dodged and walked towards me, shooting her a glare. "See, what I mean? Is your little brother like him too? I feel like like I already know him too!"

Evelyn turned pink. "I... I actually don't have a little brother," Ev replied hesitantly, scratching her arm, and looked up at Alana with wide eyes, "Actually I don't have any siblings. I'm an only child. Does that not make me a fraud?"

"What? Why would you say that? Your stories are genuine, funny and relatable. Kudos to you for capturing the dynamics of sibling relationships so well, even if you grew up as a single child. I'm sure you got your inspirations from somewhere. You are so damn good, Evie, and I love your dark humor. I recommended your stories to the teenagers at the orphanage, and they also love you. They say your humor helps them see the small things in the world in a different light. Your stories make them happier. The Cranks siblings are their favorite too!"

Evelyn stood there, her mouth slightly open, eyeing the other girl like she had grown two heads.

"And I just love how you've created these two characters from the nineteenth Century to tell the stories. It's such a witty form of storytelling."

"Two time-traveling siblings, who are shocked by today's society. It's a recipe for a best-seller." Kaya added, putting an arm around Ev's shoulder. "Don't you just wish she'd write a whole series of novels with Somerset and Fanny Cranks? They should find love, adventure, mystery and their happy endings."

Alana's eyes went wide, "Yes! Oh my god, that's exactly what I was thinking! Whoever you are, I already like you."

"Of course you do. Name's Kaya Stewart, I'm this future best-seller's soul sister, and the first love interest of Somerset. I'm the girl who breaks Somy's heart for that guy." Kaya winked, pointing her thumb towards Alex.

Alana squealed, jumping up and down, and waved at Alex. "If you're the first, can I be his last lover? Somy and Ally. Together Forever!"

Colin laughed beside me when Alana made a heart shape with her fingers and gave Ev the puppy eyes.

"Guys, stop it. You're making me blush. It's not that good!"

Kaya and Alana shared a look, and turned to Ev with identical flat looks. "So you're saying we're dumb for liking it? It's not just us, Evie! Every reader who ever wrote to you has told you the same thing. They love the characters and the stories. They want full stories!"

"Exactly." added Alana. "Evie, I know I'm practically a stranger, but trust me. You're a great story teller. Don't doubt it for even a second. You should write novels."

Ev looked between the two girls, and soon she was smiling. She stepped closer to Alana with a mischievous glint in her eyes, "Do you really think that will be such a good idea... considering most people think I'm a bitter bitch in her late forties, who lives with ten cats and hates everything in the world?"