Chapter Seventeen

Nothing about this situation was easy, but the closer it got to the trial, the more aware I became of what I was going to have to do to save myself. There was no chance in hell that Nash was going to settle my lawyer told me, which meant a trial was inevitable. I had spent the majority of the last week, meeting with lawyers and officers going through my case. I didn't understand the legal system and didn't want to. All I wanted was for all of this to be over and forgotten about.

I knew that was people would never really forget but I was trying to be hopeful. Hayes tried to visit me as much as he could but it was hard for him. There was pressure from his family to support Nash and stay by his side which Hayes resented. Mostly he would sneak out to me at night for a few hours. He tried to be supportive but there was always an elephant in the room that none of us addressed.

We sat there in silence at opposite ends of the bed, lost for anything to say. I twiddled with my fingers, trying to think of something to do. "So how was school?" I asked him seen as I hadn't been there since the incident. "You know? School's school" He said shrugging his shoulders and I just nodded, shaking my head.

There was another awkward silence again as we both sat there. "Is this how it's always going to be like?" I asked after a minute. "Like what?" Hayes asked frowning at me. "Like this, us being so distant?" I half mumbled back to him. He stood up slowly, moving to my end of the bed and sitting right next to me. "Now we're not so distant" He said with a smirk on his face.   I chuckled to myself, "You know what I mean" I said leaning on his shoulder.

He let out a deep sigh, before intertwining our fingers. "It's just hard right now okay, I'm torn between you and my family. And that's the way it's going to be for a while. But I'm here for you even if I can't technically be there you" He said squeezing my hand. "I know, I know" I said on an exhale breath. We sat there in a comfortable silence until Hayes had to leave.

"I'm really sorry" He said but I just shook him off. "It's fine, I understand" I said giving him a sweet smile. "I'll come visit you as soon as I can okay?" He said kissing the top of my head. I nodded, mouthing the words 'okay'. He waved before leaving me alone again.

The stress of the last few weeks was really starting to get to me and I felt like I was being constantly suffocated by people interviewing me. "Mom! Dad! I'm going for a walk, be back soon" I called out before shutting the door.

As soon as I walked out, the cool evening breeze hit my face. But it wasn't harsh, it was actually quiet refreshing. I didn't exactly have a planned route, I just kind of walked wherever my feet took me. I shuffed my feet before coming to a stop when I saw him standing there. I opened my mouth to say something but nothing was coming out.

He stood opposite me, the only thing lighting up his face was the light being emitted from the streetlamps. I thought he was never going to move but he finally did. His movement was so slight that it almost looked like they weren't moving at all. His presence almost made my heart stop as he edged his way closer to me. As he grew closer, the outline of his face became clearer. I realized how bad he looked, he looked like he hadn't slept in days and hadn't eaten either.

"Hey" He said in a croaky tone with his hands in his pocket. I gulped loudly unable to form a coherent reply. He stepped closer to me so he was almost touching my face. "Oops, better not get too close, don't want to be falsely accused of anything now, do I?" He said with irony in his voice. He waited for me to say something but stepped right by me when he realized I wasn't going to say anything.

I turned around as he walked away. "Nas-" I began but he cut me off. "No!" He screamed turning around and pointing his finger angrily at me. "Fuck you Emily. Fuck you, you fucking bitch. Do you even realize what you've done? You fucking idiot" he screamed at me. "I never meant for things to happen this way. I freaked out" I told him. "You freaked out? You freaked out?! God Damn it Emily could you not have dealt with it some other way, rather than ruining my fucking life!"

"Nash I'm so sorry" I said back, breaking down into tears. "Sorry isn't going to fix my life!" Nash screamed with such hate in his voice. "Nash it was a mistake I'm so sorry" I repeated. "Just..just stay the hell away from me and my family. Especially Hayes. He may not see through this..act right now, but he'll figure it out. Just you wait" He said between his teeth before walking off the other direction.