Chapter Forty-Three

August stumbled towards Spencer, falling down onto his knees by his side. He grabbed Spencer by the shoulders and lifted his upper body from the frozen ground. Wrapping his arm around his shoulders, he pressed his hand hard against Spencer's chest, feeling for a heartbeat, for the rise and fall of breath, for anything.

"Spencer?" he asked, no, begged. "Spence? Come on."

"August..." William's concerned voice came from over his shoulder. August didn't look up. "August..."

"Shut up, Will!" August snapped.

"August!" The concern vanished as fast as it came, and August could hear the rising panic in his voice.

All around them, a rumbling growl was growing by the second. August clutched Spencer's side against his chest, and finally looked around.

Out of the shadows, the rest of the pack was gathering. Whatever sensibilities or self-preservation had kept them out of the fight had been abandoned. Half a dozen pairs of eyes gleamed at them out of the shadows, stars winking off bared fangs.

August gulped.

He carefully climbed to his feet, dragging Spencer's body up with him. He was stronger than a human, sure, but he'd never be able to outrun a wolf while carrying Spencer.

Kaleb and his wife were driving William and Carson closer in, murder in every inch of their canine expressions. August clutched tighter at Spencer and glanced over his shoulder. Edeline was on her side by the quad bike, the small wolf, Priya prowling at her side, protecting her.

The wolves were barking orders to each other. Kaleb was the loudest, and his voice carried a heavier weight. Even August could feel the power of it, though he felt no compulsion to obey. Surprisingly, Carson didn't buckle under the weight of the commands. He stood tall, if scared, facing off with the pack. Behind him, Priya whined and twisted away from the voice of her alpha.

August's lip twitched. He nodded to himself, turning to stand beside William, standing and facing the alpha with Carson.

"Can you drive a quad?" he asked in a breath, nodding behind them.

William followed his gesture and nodded. Adjusting his hold on Spencer, August dragged his unconscious body closer to into their little group.

"Take Spencer and the girl," he breathed. "Get back to the van and go. Don't wait."

"August..."

"Get them to Thomas, and if I'm not back by daybreak, run."

"Daybreak?"

"Get the girl to drive, hire someone and kill them, I don't care, just go!"

He didn't look convinced, but at that moment August didn't care for his concerns or questions. He didn't want to think about how William was the best fighter they had. He was their only chance of keeping Spencer and Edeline on that bike long enough to get back to the van and away. Thomas would heal them. Even if August never saw them again, he would know they were safe.

Waiting a moment, even though he was sure the wolves had heard their plan with their heightened hearing, August clutched Spencer tight against him before handing him off to William.

"Take Priya," he muttered.

William glanced at the small wolf, his eyes widening. He didn't argue, but wrapped an arm tight around Spencer's waist, holding him up by a grip on his jeans, and began creeping back towards the quad. Edeline had pushed herself up, clawing her way up the machine to ease William's work.