Chapter Ten

Stones bounced off the underside of the car, flung up from beneath the tyres as they sped down the driveway. Priya lifted her head from against the window, shifting in her seat and reaching down at her side to pop off the seatbelt. She missed her bike. Maybe, after this was done, she'd take it back into the city. Not that she'd had much use for it as of late.

The drive had been too long and too silent in the car. Carson had slumped in his seat beside her in the back, staring out of the window for the whole ride. Even Darren had remained quiet, and Kaleb had made no effort to keep a stream of conversation going. Instead, he'd put on a local station and let it do the talking for them. She was sure nobody was actually listening.

They pulled up in the courtyard, and all three passenger doors had opened before Kaleb even shut off the engine. They climbed out into the cool countryside air, and Priya wasn't the only one to take a deep, relieved breath. Not that their reason for coming back early was any sort of relief.

She looked up at the farm house, giving a small smile when she saw Jemima coming out of the kitchen door and striding across the courtyard to her husband. She hugged him tight, words shared just for them, before she turned and gave Darren a brief hug. She smiled brightly at Priya, though Priya could see the strain in her face. Jemima was pale, drawn, with large dark circles under her eyes. She ushered them into the kitchen. She didn't even look at her brother.

Priya moved around the car, giving Carson a good shove and forcing him to slump along inside. He stared at his feet, shoving his hands into his pockets, and didn't say a word. He'd made his feelings on coming known before they'd even gotten in the car, he'd known Jemima wouldn't want to see him, but Priya could only imagine how being completely ignored would feel within his own pack, by his sister.

Kicking off her boots just inside the doorway, Priya left them beside the wall and went to go upstairs. Kaleb would have things to tell Jemima, it was best if they made themselves scarce.

"No you don't, pup, back here!"

Priya wasn't even halfway to the hallway when Kaleb called her back. He patted a heavy hand on one of the kitchen chairs and glared at each of them in turn.

"So there's still no sign of him?" Jemima asked.

Slipping into one of the chairs, Priya lifted her heel to the edge of the rest, leaning her elbow on her knee. She'd not told anyone about her brief conversation with Vince, and since he'd not called her back, she didn't think it was best to tell them now. It would only get Jemima and Kaleb's hopes up, and she couldn't bear to see them dashed again.

"No, but they're in the city, Caine seems sure of it."

Carson took a seat beside her, but Darren didn't move away from the basement door. His hand rested on the handle, and his gaze flickered between it and the people in the kitchen. As if noticing his impatience, Kaleb glanced at Darren and slowly nodded. Darren yanked back the deadbolt, pushed down the handle, and disappeared into the basement.

"So why are you back here? We should be in the city, looking for him," Jemima said. She grasped the front of Kaleb's shirt. "This is the closest he's been for months, Kal. We need to get to him."

He laid his hand over hers.

"I know, honey, and we will. But we had a meeting with Caine, and you need to hear this."

"Hear what?"

Kaleb told her, in as much detail as he was able to go into without the medical knowledge, about the vampire, Thomas', plan. Jemima looked to Priya frequently, and Priya found herself shrinking back in the chair, as if the very gaze could somehow see her guilt. As Kaleb explained, Carson stared at the table and said nothing. He didn't even move, or fidget. Priya wondered if he was doing everything he could to keep the focus from his presence in his family home.

"How does this help us?" Jemima asked finally.

"If we can convince him of this, we might be able to turn him against Spencer, get him back to us."

Jemima stared down at the table and sank into one of the seats. Her brow furrowed and Priya could see the resemblance between her and Carson more than ever.

"It's ridiculous," she said. "We all wanted Vince to be a member of the pack, but this is so risky. I won't risk my son on a hunch."

"It's more than a hunch," Kaleb said. "This Thomas kid is smart, Jem. He wouldn't have suggested it if he didn't think it would work."

"What does a vampire know about werewolves and how we turn?"

"Whether it works or not, the offer of it may be the only chance we have of getting Vince back," Carson muttered. "He wanted to be anything other than human so badly, he asked a vampire to turn him."

The chair squealed against the floor as it was shoved back. Jemima was on her feet, hands on the table, and for the first time since arriving, she acknowledged her brother's presence. But there was nothing but loathing in the curl of her lips, the narrowed eyes.

"Our only chance?" she demanded. "You don't get to talk about chances after you put this idea in his head."

Carson stared at the table as if he could put holes in it with his gaze.

"He was fine before, Carson! You turned our son against us, gave him ideas. He was fine until you told him—"

"He wasn't fine, Jemima!" Carson snapped back, turning his glare on her. "You ignored it, ignored the pain he was in, you both did! You think I don't know that I fucked up? That I haven't regretted it every day since? I was wrong, and I know it, but Vince wasn't fine! I wasn't the one who made him look for other options."

Kaleb snarled.

"No, you just laid an option on a plate for him and handed him over to a vampire."

"This isn't helping!" Priya said, wincing when three furious faces turned on her. She rocked her chair back on two legs, pressing her shins against the edge of the table. "Even if you could get in touch with Vince, convince him to try this... you need a werewolf to give up their life!"

Indignation and anger deflated from around the table, and Jemima slowly slid back into her seat. She buried her face in her hands and coiled over her legs. Her shoulders jerked with a silent sob.

"You can't ask that of anyone, even if he agreed to it," Priya said quietly.

Kaleb looked like he might argue with her. He was their alpha, and should he command it, they all knew he could make it happen. But Kaleb had never been that kind of Alpha, he'd never wielded his power for his own gain. He cared too much about the pack to demand someone sacrifice themselves on a hunch. Even if it was certain, he wouldn't demand it.

The bottom of the basement door screamed against the flagon stone as it was pushed further open. Darren stepped out, his face devoid of all emotion except finality. From down below, Priya could hear barked anger, a scuffle and a rattle of chains. Darren flinched with every sound as he pushed the heavy door closed and locked the deadbolt.

He didn't turn away from the door. He clutched at the handle with both hands and leaned forwards, his forehead pressed against the frame. He took a deep, steadying breath, and then another.

"You should use Jack," he said.

"No, Darren, Priya's right, we couldn't ask it of anyone."

"Jack isn't anyone anymore," he said, the emotion voided from his face slipping into every cracking word. "He's nobody, and certainly not my brother. If you can get Vince to agree, you should use Jack. It'd be a mercy."

Darren pushed himself off the door and didn't look back as he marched through the kitchen and out into the courtyard, disappearing into the bright autumn day.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

And that's all from me this week, friends.

Have a great weekend, and please remember to vote if you liked the chapter, and comment if you have thoughts on it. Would love to hear from you all.

Chele