Chapter Thirty-Six

Carson jogged after Edeline, who stormed along the pavement like the very buildings would jump out of her way if she demanded it.

"You don't have to do this, you know," he said, coming up to her side. "None of this is your fault. It can wait."

Edeline didn't look back. Her hands tightened into fists at her sides and she took a deep breath as if collecting herself before giving an answer. She glanced over her shoulder and turned sharply into the road, crossing and leaving Carson hurrying after her. Still she said nothing.

"Edeline, you owe them nothing. You know that, right?"

"Of course I know that," she replied. "Do you think people should only do the right thing when it is owed of someone?"

Carson frowned. He huffed and shoved his hands into his pockets. Hunching his shoulders, he looked across the road, away from her. He had heard what had happened to William the moment he had returned to the house. He had heard what they had tried to do to Priya. He'd wanted to hunt down Edeline's father himself when he'd been told the story. Truth be told, Carson didn't even blame August for his suggestion that they deal with this sooner rather than later. What he disagreed with was the idea that Edeline should be the one to deal with the threat her father now posed. Hadn't she already been through enough?

"You know that isn't what I meant," he said finally.

"No, it wasn't. Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully, especially around my father. Not everyone can root around your thoughts, you know."

"It doesn't change the fact you don't need to do this," he said. "The vampires are more than capable of dealing with their own slights."

"Slights?" Edeline asked, whirling to face him and coming to a sudden stop in the middle of the pavement. "Really, Carson?"

"William was not hurt by your father, Edeline. He was burned by the sun. You don't owe him some kind of revenge."

"And Priya? Is my father innocent of her injuries, as well?"

"What injuries?" Carson asked. "Priya is safe. She wasn't hurt."

Edeline crossed her arms over her chest and glared at him with such ferocity that Carson took a step away from her. She reminded him of Jemima in that moment, usually so bright and cheerful but a firestorm from hell if you messed with her. Edeline's eyebrow twitched as she stared him down.

"Only because William was there to stop it," she said. "I didn't know you cared so little."

Carson sighed in frustration. Of course he cared for Priya, there had never been any debate about that. He would give his life to protect her, were it needed. True, they had never been especially close, she'd always been more Kaleb's girl than his, but she was a part of the pack. He would protect her as best he could, it was instinctual. But that didn't mean he wanted Edeline to pay for that protection by returning to her father.

If that protection came with a price, Carson wondered whether he should be the one paying for it?

Edeline's anger fizzled out into the silence. She stepped forwards and pressed her hands to his cheeks. She was so small compared to him. Young too, he realised. And yet, he didn't grab her and drag her away. He couldn't stop her. He could protect Priya, but he couldn't protect Edeline, not forever, and not from this.

"It has to stop, Sonny," she whispered.

Carson closed his eyes, the warmth of her hands against his skin calming and exhilarating in a way he'd not felt in a long time. He nodded, and when he opened his eyes, she was smirking at him.