Chapter 3 - The Meeting

'SCAMANDER!'

I jumped from the chair I sat on and instantly looked up to see the Minister looking right at me, a raised eyebrow and his lips put together as a line.

I gulped. 'Sorry Minister, I spaced out for a second,' I said.

'That you did. Mr Scamander, do you realise why you are here?' the minister said, leaning back in his office chair.

'W-Well, unfortunately no, Minister,' I replied, looking at his shoulders more than meeting his gaze.

'As you might have read in the Daily Prophet, we are obligated to brace for imminent dark times,' he began. When he saw my face, he sighed, 'how long have you been closed off, Mr Scamander?'

'Not long,' I said, a bit embarrassed.

'Your recent success seems to have brought you quite the public, I sense?' he asked smiling tiredly.

'More than I can manage in my tight schedule, Minister. But now it is not the matter at hand, isn't it?' I said delicately. He firmly nodded.

'Yes. We have been informed that someone – or something – has taken the dark wizard Grindelwald the day he was meant to be brought here, to Azkaban. Seeing your pale face, I shall inform you more in depth. The second he got out from his cell in MACUSA – that is the equivalent of the Ministry of Magic in the United States – an emergency breach happened. They Levitated Grindelwald to a magic carriage and escaped. The Aurors pursuit them, and almost apprehended them; yet, Grindelwald joined in and managed to evade and counterattack all the spells thrown at them. It was an extremely stormy night, wickedly perfect for an escape, so they got away. He killed twenty-seven Aurors and seriously injured others. It was a dark night, Mr Scamander, and we fear it's not going to be the last one.'

I just sat there, digesting the information I just heard. All the time the Minister talked, I looked down, imagining the events of that night and breaking out in a cold sweat. I felt a shudder slither through me as I thought of people falling from the sky, surrounded by white and green flashing lights. And I had to stop as I got a thought of a familiar face turning deathly pale.

I was so engrossed in these thoughts that I didn't see the Minister stand up from his chair and turn around towards the big windows behind his desk.

'Grindelwald is a danger for the wizarding world, even more for the Muggles. He must be stopped and caught,' he said. He sounded much more business-like, and his words had a dull learned-by-heart sound to them. He turned around and rested his eyes on me, almost evaluating me.

'So, the reason for your meeting today has to do with this. We require your help, Mr Scamander.'

I looked at him, confused and somewhat taken back. Of all people, the Minister should know that, in my family, I'm the least appropriate to face and fulfil such tasks. 'So, you're asking me to help... hunt him down?'

'Not exactly,' he replied, suddenly looking hesitant of his next words, 'it was brought to our attention that, when you faced Grindelwald in New York, you made use of some creatures you had in your possession.' Oh no, I thought.

'Um, yes... but, Minister, these creatures –'

'Mr Scamander, desperate times require desperate measures. Now, I know you are rather close to those creatures. However, for the sake of the community, it is asked that you give the Ministry of Magic those which could serve the purpose as shields against Grindelwald and his band of followers.'

Those words had come out of his mouth so easily, making it evident that he did not need to rehearse them; they came naturally to him, and thus to others. I was shocked and disgusted without measure, and I kept silent as it sank in. There was no way I was going to let my creatures in the hands of people who want them as instruments of defence. 

The Minister would not let me leave without an answer, and I fear that he will seize them by force.

'Well?' he said impatiently.

'With all due respect, my creatures are not supposed to be used in battle, much less be exposed to it. Some of them are very rare, and –'

'Well, the rarer, the better. Grindelwald and other dark wizards won't know how to deal with them. Brilliant, Mr Scamander. When would you be able to transport them here?' he asked, a slightly scary pleasant smile on his face.

'Wha – Minister, I'm sorry but I must refuse your request. As a Magizoologist, I cannot allow creatures to simply–' I stopped short as the Minister raised from his chair, making it screech, and with his face flushing from ordinary to an angry red. He huffed some air through his nose, looking like an offended erumpent yet recalling me more to a human toddler.

'I'm afraid I must insist, Mr Scamander,' he slowly said.

 Then, a sudden vibration sound came from his pocket. He put his hand and extracted his wand. He tch-ed and looked back at me, seeming now more annoyed at something else than at me, 'I will only allow you to go now because, unlike you, I have a tight schedule. However, I expect an answer later today by owl post. You know where the door is,' he snapped as he sat down, looking down at his papers. Without looking, he waved his wand, and the door snapped open, 'Good day to you, Mr Scamander.'