Chapter 2: Fix You Up

AN: I didn't think I could upload the next chapter this fast. But here it is. Have fun!

(Or don't because there are not many good things happening in this one)

***

CHAPTER 2: Fix You Up

(Song by Tegan and Sara)

***

When Callie Torres saw the closed blinds in one of the attendings lounges, she didn't think about anything unnormal. Maybe two doctors were making out in there – Meredith and Alex, or the Shepherds. But she decided this wouldn't stop her. In this room was a fridge with her lasagna for dinner. And she was hungry.

So she opened the door. It wasn't locked. She prepared herself to bare skin. But then it was nothing like her dirty thoughts. There was a body lying on the floor. Addison Shepherd – the good Shepherd –, Callie considered the redhead as a friend. She was pale, much too pale. And all around her... blood. She was lying in her own blood, like a lake around her slim, heavily pregnant body. And she didn't move.

"I need help!" Callie shouted and kneeled down next to Addison. She felt her pulse. It was weak and irregular, but definitely there. She was alive.

"Page Robbins!" she commanded the next nurse. In the rush she couldn't think about anybody else, who knew about children and birth. She didn't know anyone. It was Addison's department, after all. It wasn't even a minute, until Arizona stood in the doorway. "Calliope, you paged..." She stopped, when she saw the unconscious Addison on the floor. "Oh my God. That's so much blood. How long has she been lying here?"

"I don't know. I just found her here. But it can't be long. With that blood loss, she'd be dead in a few minutes."

"Okay. I need a gurney!" she called, then turned back to Callie. "I'm not sure what it is. She's the one for maternal-fetal medicine. But I think... it's the baby. How far along is she?"

"I think 36 weeks."

"Good. The baby has a high chance to survive outside the uterus. We'll get it out right now. Maybe it's a placental abruption."

Two interns came with a gurney and lifted her onto it, rushed her to the OR.

Nobody knew for certain what it was. Just one thing: If they wouldn't hurry, she would bleed out.

***

If someone would ask Derek Shepherd how he felt, he wouldn't be able to describe it. Was it anger? Grief? Relief? All at once?

His wife had cheated on him. She had slept with a really close friend. And not just that – as if that wasn't bad enough. She was pregnant with Mark's baby and had told Derek for seven months, that it was his. How could she even sleep at night?

Their marriage had been damaged before. He had made mistakes, he didn't deny that. He had neglected her, had worked too much, hadn't shown any sign of happiness about this baby. The enthusiasm had disappeared. The something was missing. This something, that had made their love so special, so enviable, that had made them Addison and Derek. They were known as the perfect team at work, the perfect couple privately. They were idols for every loving couple. From the outside.

Inside it was different. He couldn't look at her, when they had been standing in the scrub room, just a few hours ago. Maybe she was right. Maybe, somehow, over the years, his love for her had disappeared. And even though he had always wanted children, he had never wanted that child, not with her. For her it had been a second chance for their marriage – or the third, or whatever. For him it had been the end, the final thing that had pushed them over the edge of the abyss.