zero

T H E  P R O L O G U E

•••

KLAUS MIKEALSON WAS READY TO DIE.

There was no denying it. Standing there on the streets with his older brother, the white oak stake in their hands; it had never felt more real to him.

He had said what he needed to those who meant the most, but the most painful ones he knew would haunt him- even after death.

Hope had lived five years without a father, and even the time she spent with him was short. Klaus knew that she was going to grow up; she already was turning into the beautiful women he knew she would. She would mature, fall in love (much to klaus' dismay) and have her heart broken by some stupid boy. But that wasn't even the worst part.

The worst part was that she would do all of this without her parents to guide her.

But klaus knew that was the way of the world. Children bury their fathers every second of every day. This isn't unfamiliar, or special. But for some reason this reassurance still didn't stop the aching feeling in his chest when he thought about his sacrifice.

Then to Rebekah, his loving, younger sister. Sure, the two had their fair share of issues over the centuries, but she stuck by his side for a millennium. Klaus knew no one ever stood by him like she did, and she too would struggle to find her place in the world.

Then Elijah, his conscience and his guide, helped him with almost everything. He sacrificed everything in his life to build a better one for klaus so he could raise his daughter in a happy home.

His brother. His selfless brother and his narcissistic ways- he couldn't even allow Klaus to tackle anything on his own; even death itself. He wanted to hate his brother for these qualities- he really did. But a part of him felt guilty for Elijah's feeling to die side by side: but the other part was silent relief that he didn't need to say another painful goodbye.

The pair had done some terrible unforgivable things over the centuries but this was a sacrifice, a good thing. And klaus knew this one death (his death) would not count out the millions of families he had destroyed- but it was a start to earning his redemption.

So without further hesitation the brothers looked into each others eyes, smiled, and drove the stake through their hearts. It was poetic, almost, as their ashes rose in to the dark, midnight sky.

However, what klaus didn't notice was while he was reminiscing on his hard night, his brother swapped the white oak stake for a normal wooden one. It would still kill him, just not permanently.

Elijah knew the wooden stake wouldn't kill the dark magic inside of his brother, but over time it would become controllable. He knew that klaus deserved more than what he got, he had a crappy start in life and Elijah still blames himself for his part in creating the monstrous hybrid.

But he also wanted to give his younger brother a chance to be happy, and free with his daughter and family. He knew klaus would be hurt, but he would get over it eventually.

So as Elijah's  body burned and his skin peeled away, he looked into the sky- ready to see Hayley again.

But to klaus, it did not feel like his skin was flaking away, instead like he was falling, his vision slowly turning black. As he turned to his brother for a look of reassurance, Elijah smiled sadly and spoke his final words "be happy brother" and both brothers disappeared from the New Orleans street.

 As he turned to his brother for a look of reassurance, Elijah smiled sadly and spoke his final words "be happy brother" and both brothers disappeared from the New Orleans street