Episode 21 - "After 'Xiao Wei'"

Background: This scene took place after Zhao Yunlan called out "Xiao Wei", and before they went back to SID the next morning. This was inspired by chapter 59 of the Original book, but base on the Drama storyline and characters.   

Shen settled the Chief on the couch while he headed to the kitchen to prep for dinner. The day had been long, but the busybody, like the Chief, wouldn't stand still. A blinded Zhao Yunlan, was not something to laugh about, despite his efforts to cheer everyone around him. He was not a man who could stand on the sidelines while others cater to his needs. It brought Shen comfort that the only person he allowed to care for him was Shen Wei himself.

"Xiao Wei" The Chief had called him that today. For an instant, Shen's heart stopped. But the moment was short-lived. Zhao did not seem to realize what he had said, nor did Shen ever want him to know. Shen Wei could only hold back the fleeting joy, which soon fell back to sorrow.

How much longer can he wait? How much longer can he hold back his feelings? His desire?

CRASH!

The dazed Professor Shen turned to see Zhao Yunlan had managed to collapse on the floor, barely missing the edge of his bed.

"Where are you heading now?" Shen Wei asked the stubborn blind man who could not seem to sit still. He seriously debated whether he should tie the accident-prone Zhao down for good. Or lock him in a dungeon.

"I'm looking for my clothes," Zhao answered as Shen helped him up.

"Why?" Shen scowled, his tone evident despite Zhao unable to see his expression.

"Unlike you Professor Shen, who always smells like blossoms of early spring," the Chief answered with his usual charming smile, "I smell pretty bad after running around all day. In fact, I haven't showered in days. How you've tolerated my stinky self until now is a miracle in itself."

Professor Shen sighed before he turned the Chief towards the bed. "I'll grab your clean clothes, and some wash towels. You should sit down first before you hurt yourself." Shen tried to guide him, but Zhao continued to resist.

Zhao said, "I need a real shower, badly."

Shen remained silent. In truth, he didn't want Zhao to out of his sight, even for five minutes if possible. Due to Shen's failure to watch over him, Zhao had lost his sight. Many things had happened today, leaving him in no doubt he could not leave the Chief unsupervised. With his luck, Zhao would probably trip and crack his head on the tiles.

Even without his sight, the intuitive Zhao seemed to read his thoughts. "If you're still worried, you can join me," the Chief suggested casually. Though they both knew it was not that simple, given their feeling for one another.

"I...I..."

"I'm jesting!" the Chief laughed at the nervous Professor. "I'm a grown man. I can take care of myself. Now take me to the shower room with a fresh set of clothes, I'll be done before dinner is ready."

"No. I'll assist you...," Shen Wei readily agreed, knowing how the Chief rarely asked for help. There shouldn't be much harm he rationalized, despite the temptation.

"You're serious?"

"No...I mean yes! I'll help you get ready for your bath."

"Well then, Professor Shen," Zhao chuckled lightly with a tilt of his head. He did not hide his joy. "I am all yours."

At that moment, Shen Wei didn't think much of the consequences of his agreement. Better to keep Zhao safe and happy before he found new ways to injure himself. Little did he know, life was never that simple. Especially when it came to Zhao Yunlan, the chosen Guardian.