Chapter Seven

As She Watches

"Youll be following me on my rounds today." Yuki said cheerfully to Zero as Kaname walked away without a goodbye.

"Yes, I assumed so." Zero looked around. "Where to first?"

"This way." Zeros sleeve was yanked by Yuki and lead down the path. They stopped at the fountain and Yuki sat down at the bench across from it. She patted the seat net to her.

"This is... your work?" Zero asked as he sat down.

"Well...yes. But usually Kaname goes and checks in the night class and I sit here and wait for him. Obviously he won't come meet me this time. But I like to watch the sunset."

"Why not go with him?" Zero looked over at Yuki with curiosity.

"He..." Yuki stretched her arms out. "... Doesn't trust me around a large group of vampires..."

"Ok. I'm sorry. But what is your brothers problem?! It's not like he's your dad. And it's not like you didn't have a father figure. So what gives?"

Yuki breathed in. "Our parents were killed by a vampire..."

"Oh... I'm sorry... I didn't mean- "

"No. It's fine..."

Zero exhaled and knelt down to bury his head in his legs. He got back up a little and leaned on his knees with his arms. He looked over at Yuki and she was doing the same, and staring at him with unwavering confusion.

"What?" Zero gave a faint smile. Yuki lunged up and stared at Zero with a surprised smile. Zero chuckled and sat up. "What?!" He scoffed.

"You smiled!"

"Yeah?"

"In my four years of knowing you, you've only smirked! You actually smiled!" Yuki grabbed Zeros arm and shook it.

Zero lightly pushed Yuki by her head. "Oh shut up will ya!" Zero teased.

___X___

"...then my Uncle went in my parents room and killed my father and drank my mother dry." Yuki walked along the trees with Zero into the late night.

"Im sorry that you went through that. I'm sorry that my race brings such pain."

Yuki watched Zeros facial expression turn to despair. She took his hand without hesitation, they stopped walking. Zero stared down at their hands. "Zero. I am not my brother. I don't blame you for the mistakes of another pureblood." Yukis hand slipped out and flopped back to her side. Zero stared at his seemingly lonely hand. He watched Yuki walking. Her long brunette hair waved around with her movement and the wind blowing whisked the scent of her right at Zero.

And suddenly. Without thought. Or worry. Or anything. He raced in front of her and thier eyes met. He took in a breath and leaned in. Yukis eyes widened at the brave move from the silver haired vampire.

"Zero what are you doing?! Stop it that has to hurt!" Yelled a small Yuki.

"Itll be okay! The bad vampire lady is gone now!"

Yuki has always been there for Zero. Since their first encounter. Shes been there, with always the same unwavering look in her eyes.

 Suddenly their lips connected and Yuki felt the immediate spark in her chest, leading her arms up and around his neck, pulling him closer if it were possible. Zero did the same with her waist. Yuki lifted herself with her toes and then they disconnected with a hard breath of air between them. Staring at eachother with the same shock, Yuki broke the surprise of Zeros action with a laugh and short breaths. "What was that?" 

"I- I dont know... Im sorry." Zero looked away.

Yuki grabbed his arm. "Zero wait. Dont apologize. Its okay." Zero looked back at Yuki, noticing her cheeks were still fully pink. Only making him want to kiss her again. "It was- "

"How dare you." A dark voice and the 'shhhing' of an uncapped sword made its echo through Cross Academy's small woods. Yuki looked behind Zero to see a very angry Kaname Kuran. Zero turned to face the angry hunter.

"Kaname! I- " Yuki felt Zero push her behind him. 

"Im getting sick of you Kuran."

"I could say the same..." Kaname raised his sword to point at Zero. "...Kriyu."