Chapter 4 - The Truth Hurts But Lies Are Worse

Hello! I am updating after nine months!! Originally I wasn't going to continue with this story but when I came back on here I saw all the lovely comments I had recived so I decided to continue!! I would like to say sorry that it took so long to update and to those people who left the comments thank you. Also I have updated the previous chapters slightly so you might want to read them :) sorry for the long authors note.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Molly clasped her hands over her mouth and gasped. John raised his fist to hit him again but she stopped him.

"Don't John! He's your best friend!" Molly cried pulling John back with him breathing like a bull in anger. There was a pause until Mrs Hudson came upstairs.

"What's all the commotion about up here! John! Molly!" she shouted but in her sweet little way. The door was ajar but when she fully opened it she saw Sherlock "Sherlock? Is it really you?" she began to touch his face in a motherly way then hugged him and was laughing and smiling hysterically "But..But you're dead"

"Evidently not , Mrs Hudson, life can be a cruel mistress but not for me, not yet anyway" He gave her a warm smile and hugged her again.

"What's that?" she asked, noticing his nose beginning to bleed slowly. "Goodness you're bleeding, Sherlock, how did that happen?" The attention in the room was once again drawn to John but Mrs Hudson quickly diverted the situation by taking him in to the kitchen to clean him up, leaving time for Molly and John to talk.

"He was your best friend, John." She began.

"You knew didn't you?"

"No" She lied, acting as best she could. John laughed.

"Don't lie to me Molly, I know when you're lying" She looked at the floor unable to look at him

"I... I... I suffered for months and months on end and you didn't tell me? It's not like you weren't there either. You came around everyday!"

"John, I did what I did for a reason"

"What seeing me in a pool of tears or drowned in alcohol. All I would have needed was one word to let me know. How did you do it? What kind of heartless bitch are you?" Molly's tone became more aggressive.

"Don't you think I have suffered too, John? Just because I knew he wasn't dead doesn't mean I felt no remorse, of course I did! I knew that he was trying to kill off Moriarty's web, I had no idea whether he was dead in a foreign country with no one who loves him"

"Well he always would have had people who loved him because you're clearly besotted with him!" and then she slapped him.

She didn't do it intentionally as her reaction afterwards was complete shock. He just stared at her with his dead eyes, then he walked over to the bottle of whiskey and poured himself a glass, as if it would stop the pain. Then simply John took the bottle and walked to the bedroom and closed the door and his troubles behind him.

"What was that?" Sherlock asked before he saw the mortifying look on Molly's face, "He guessed, didn't he?" Molly nodded solemnly, restraining tears from running down her face.

"Guessed what?" Mrs Hudson questioned

"Molly helped me... umm... y-know" Sherlock cleared his throat, he was speechless and couldn't take his eyes off of her, her trembling lips and the one tear which had managed to slowly roll down her cheek. At first Mrs Hudson was annoyed that she knew and did not tell, but she could see that she was clearly distressed and gave her a hug. Sherlock stood there awkwardly while Molly's tears began to stream down her face.

3 minutes later when the crying had seemed to die down a bit, Sherlock sat down at his desk and got his laptop out. "Sherlock!" Mrs Hudson scolded, "Molly's upset"

"Oh um.." Sherlock fumbled, not being used to being in a social situation like this.

"No it's fine" Molly snivelled, "I'm going to go to bed now anyway"

"Okay dearie," Mrs Hudson rubbed her arm "you know where I am if you need anything"

"Thank you" Molly smiled

"And Sherlock you should go to bed to!" Sherlock moaned but still went to his bedroom like a school boy.

Molly prepared herself for bed, where John was already asleep, or more likely pretending to be asleep and they slept at opposite sides of the bed. John did not move all night, which was unusual because he usually had night terrors. Molly also hardly slept however when she awoke John was not there.   

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading - Please tell me what you thought of it by voting and commenting whether I should upload the next chapter!