Chapter 30 - Here Comes Summer

Start from the beginning

When he finally stepped through the doorway, she sat up expectantly, but he had his head down and turned to walk to the back of the room without looking up.  Seeing the grim expression on his face, she knew he was still just as sad as when she’d last seen him.  Turning to face Louise, she tried to hide her disappointment.  At least she had two more classes with him, and two more chances to try to let him know things had changed.

In social studies class, she made sure to arrive early so she could be there before him.  This time, instead of heading directly to the back of the class, he went to Mr. Miller’s desk to drop off his homework.  When he turned around, she kept her eyes trained on him, willing him to lift his head, but he walked right past her, his face somber, and she slumped, feeling even more disappointed. 

While she got out paper and a pencil to prepare to take notes, she tried to console herself.  It wouldn’t be long before she’d be with him at the cabin.  In just a few short hours, she’d finally be able to tell him the good news and he’d be just as happy as she was.

Time seemed to drag, and when lunchtime finally arrived, Jess gratefully walked to the small gym with Louise.  At least half the day was over, and she was that much closer to seeing Marty.  She and Louise joined the other girls at their usual table, and then Marty came into view, walking along the wall with his head down and his hands shoved in his pockets.  He didn’t have a lunch.  Fighting off an overwhelming sadness for him, she decided to focus on something else; how to tell her second best friend she couldn’t see her over the summer. 

She knew it would hurt Louise’s feelings if she admitted her uncle wouldn’t approve of their friendship because she wasn’t rich enough.  But she also didn’t want to talk about how poorly she was treated at home.  It would be humiliating to admit her uncle hated her enough that he thought nothing of keeping her locked up for months at a time.  Making up some excuse wasn’t something she wanted to do either.  She hated lying to Louise.

With no idea what to say, she knew she was running out of time.  Realizing it would be far worse if Louise brought it up first so they could make plans, she knew it was best to get it over with.

While pretending to be looking for her cookies in of her lunch sack, she said, “Louise, about this summer.  I don’t think I’ll be able to see you.”

“Oh, I was going to talk to you about that,” Louise said, interrupting her.  “I won’t be able to see you either.”

“You – you won’t?” Jess asked, gazing up at her with wonder. 

“Yeah, summer is the busiest time for us since so many people come through town on their way up north.  I have to watch my brothers and sister so my mom can work at the restaurant, and – I’m not allowed to have friends over when I’m babysitting,” she added with a pained expression.

“Oh, it’s alright,” Jess reassured her quickly.  “I was worried you’d feel bad about it.”

“I was worried too,” Louise admitted, looking equally grateful.  “At least we’ll get to see each other when school starts next fall.  I hope we’ll be in lots of classes again,” she said with a smile. 

“I hope so too!”

“I’m awful glad you moved here, Jess.  It was a fun year because of you.”

“Thanks, Louise,” Jess said, touched by her words.  “I’m glad I moved here too.” 

And she was.  After living here for a year, this now felt like home.  She still missed her parents, but the pain of losing them had subsided to a dull ache.  Even though dealing with her uncle wasn’t pleasant, there were enough good things about her new life that more than made up for it; Louise, Doug, Annie, and especially Marty.  The memories of her old life would always be with her, but she finally felt like she was moving forward.