:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 2

Start from the beginning

"I still feel bad for leaving him with you all the time. Doesn't he distract you when you have to write?"

Will shook his head. "Not at all. He's easily entertained. And you shouldn't feel bad. I'm the one who offered to watch him when you have to work. I don't see why you just won't let me adopt you two..."

I smiled, rolling my eyes. "I can support the two of us. You do enough. You watch Elliot almost all the time, you home-school me, and you cook dinner for us almost every night."

"Which is basically like I'm your father anyway," Will pointed out with a grin. "Think about it. You could go to normal school again and-"

I shook my head, cutting him off. "I like my life."

"Really?"

"Really," I responded, looking him straight in the eye. "After losing my parents I realized family is what's most important. I want Elliot and I to stay together. And not going to high school, well... the part about not having a lot of friends kind of sucks, but at least I don't have to deal with the drama. And I don't have to wake up too early all the time either."

Will grinned at me. "I like your attitude."

"You say that all the time," I pointed out, a smile slipping onto my face.

"But it's true," Will insisted. "Even after all the tragic events in your life, you managed to not only stay as positive as possible through all of the ordeals, but after your parents died you didn't hesitate to drop out of high school and start working so you and Elliot wouldn't be separated. It's very admirable, and not many people could do it."

I blushed, clearing my throat. "It's not that big of a deal..."

"And now you're being modest."

I scowled at Will, crossing my arms. "Whatever. I need to start looking for a job right away."

Will gave me a worried look. "Are you okay with this month's rent? I can pay if you-"

"I have it," I interrupted, shaking my head. "Thank you for the offer, but I'm not going to take your money."

"But..."

"So, has your editor asked about your manuscript lately?" I asked, trying to change the topic.

Will's face instantly paled. "Unfortunately, yes. She wants it by next Monday. I'm not even close to being done!"

I laughed out loud. Will was always like this- waiting until the last second to finish his manuscript so it could be turned in to be published. He was a writer, and a good one at that. That's how he managed to look after Elliot for me all the time: He worked at home.

"Well keep working on it," I urged him, smirking. "We don't want a repeat of last time..."

The last time his editor was here when the manuscript wasn't finished I thought I was going to witness a murder. Kate, his editor, had screamed at him for five minutes straight about responsibilities and deadlines. It was actually very entertaining. I chuckled at the memory. Will pursed his lips at me, guessing what I was thinking about.

"There won't be a repeat," he stated stubbornly. "I'll get it done in time."

I smirked. "Sure you will."

"I will!"

I ignored him, getting up, and walking over to the computer desk. I sat down in the swivel chair, spinning around to face Will's laptop. I opened it and hit the power button. I felt Will's presence hovering above me a few minutes later.

"Yes?" I questioned, looking up at him.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm going to apply to a few jobs," I told him, typing in his password, and logging in. "The sooner I get one, the better."

"Ah," he responded, moving away from me.

"Pig!"

I swiveled the chair around to look at Elliot, who was frowning at me.

"Yes?"

"I thought we were playing!"

I made a face. Shoot. I forgot I promised him I'd play with him. Turning to Will, I gave him a pleading look. He smiled and rolled his eyes.

"Pig is kind of busy, so why don't I play with you instead?"

"Okay!" my brother responded sounding excited.

"Don't call me Pig!" I called at the pair of them as they walked away.

I heard Will laugh in response and I scowled. That nickname was so unfitting! I didn't eat that much anymore... Okay, I thought with sigh, that was a lie. I probably ate too much... But I wasn't even fat!

I turned back to the computer, gazing at the screen. Forest green eyes appeared in the reflection, and I stared at them for a moment. Were my eyes really that green? The desktop background appeared, making my reflection disappear. I waited a moment before clicking the Firefox symbol.

I brought up Google, frowning as I thought of place to apply to first. Tapping the keys absentmindedly, I finally decided I would start with the most known stores. I typed in Walmart first. It was better than nothing.

Two grueling hours later, I had applied to five different stores. One that would hopefully hirer a seventeen-year-old girl full time. Not many stores did that though. The bakery had been my exception, but now I was fired from it.

"Geez mom, dad. Couldn't you have just been rich and make things easier?" I joked out loud, gazing up at the ceiling.

It had almost been a year since their death. I've had people call me cold for being so optimistic after losing both of my parents, but they were wrong. I missed my parents like crazy; no one could understand how much I missed them. But I knew they wouldn't want me becoming a depressed person. I didn't want to be either.

And so I became who I was today. Happy-go-lucky, optimistic Harley Allen.

I glanced out the window, a soft sigh escaping my lips. It was still pouring. I really hated the rain...

_____________________________________________

So, this isn't going to be a depressing story. I just don't like those. This is going to be more of a romantic comedy... with some action. Like all my stories (excluding HITS) haha. I just wanted to try to write a sad scene, because obviously there's bound to be some in a story. But apparently I could :D Yay!

Anyway, I know this chapter is boring, but it'll start getting better, I promise! Just wait until she actually starts teaching at the school, haha. Boy do I have some awesome plans... Anyway.

I'M ENTERING THIS STORY IN THE WATTY AWARDS! Yep! You read that in all it's capital glory! I finally decided to enter a story into that contest. So please support me by voting, commenting, tweeting, and facebook-liking! Please, please, please, and thank you! :)

[Today's Song: Dear Maria, Count Me In by All Time Low]