"Thanks for this mum... I really appreciate it."

"I know honey... now get off the phone before you blow up that plane and kill your child's father."

I'm surprised her comment makes me laugh but I compose myself almost immediately and look at Emma horrified. Her eyes are away from the screen looking at something. I don't know if I should be terrified or impressed because Emma always seems to not to hear a word when it comes to slip ups from people regarding her father. Sometimes I wonder if she thinks about him but I'm afraid asking her will only open a can of worms.

"Mum." I scold.

"You'll get over it honey. Bye now." Without another word, she hangs up leaving me with a gaping mouth. I'm surprised she can joke in such a situation and what's even worse is that I laughed at her joke. I stand from my comfort and open the door only to fall back at the sight of Ashton. He's leaning on the other side with his arms crossed and his eyes closed.

"Ashton... you scared the crap out of me." I exclaim, clutching my chest. Ashton's eyes lazily open and watch mine for a moment and this instantly causes a panic in me. Did he hear anything?

"Sorry." His eyes close again as he pushes himself off the wall and falls into the doorway. He gives his head a shake and proceeds to come inside but his steps are not firm like they normally are. They are quite sluggish.

"Ashton... are you okay?" I question, placing my hands on each side of him to steady him. I lead him to the covered toilet where he sits and meets his head with the wall behind him. His eyes are still closed and his cheeks are flushed. I extend my hands to his cheek and as soon as my fingertips graze his skin, his eyes pop open.

"Geez... your hand is freezing."

I shy away from the connection so I break contact but Ashton's large hand is quick to circle mine. His hand falls to his knee, taking mine with it.

"You have a fever..."

He inhales deeply before he speaks. "Maybe you can cool me down." I cannot help but smile at his comment. I'm grateful that his eyes are still closed because I don't want him to know that I find his little remark amusing.

"You mean cool IT down." I emphasise, watching his face a little too fondly. I want to escape but the heat between our hands prevents me from doing so. I'm afraid I will miss it once I break the link.

"Not IT... me." He says between a smirk and throws me a look before closing his eyes again.

"I'm glad you have the energy to joke in your current state." He doesn't retort so I kneel from my squat and watch his lips part making me wonder if he's fast asleep again. His face is so interesting and looking at him closely, I can see traces of my daughter in him.

"So what are you waiting for?" His raspy voice comes a moment later startling me.

"Huh."

"I'm waiting for the cool down." He laughs, then winces and lets my hand go. "I wonder what nonna put in that damn tea."

I stand to wet the towel then ask. "She gave you something to drink?" It's quite odd because Mrs Ainsworth never touches the food or drinks and always instructs us to do it.

"Yeah... she always gives me her special tea when I get a cold... I never learn... always take the damn drink and end up like this."

A smile is back on my lips as I watch his nose crease. He looks so uncomfortable. I reach my hand to touch him again but I stop myself before I make that mistake. I already checked for a fever – there are no more excuses I can use to touch him.