CHAPTER 5

CHAPTER 5

There are two things I find intrusive. The first is someone using my things without permission and the second is someone telling me what to do when we have met on less than 5 occasions. The latter has never happened but the irritation that boils my blood puts it on the list.

"I'm sorry what." Is my response.

He chuckles showing me another side to him and it ends leaving me with a million questions. Had I been a celebrity, I would have thought I was being punk'd.

Why is he acting this way? Is he mentally unwell? Why the chuckle? Is it directed towards me? The last question is answered almost immediately.

"You sure do apologise a lot."

At this point my lower lip is hitting the floor in amazement. I should be questioning him on why he called me to this meeting to tell me about a job opening but his actions towards me are more of a query than the former.

"The job-"

"Wait a minute." I speak over him. "You went from talking about my mother to a job- you have to understand that I am a bit confused." Another person (an expressive one) would have grabbed a glass of water and poured it over his expensive suit but the good girl raised in me speaks so proper, I surprise myself.

"Your mother spoke to me about your struggle with-" he hesitates before he continues for a reason I wish I knew. "Well I happened to mention to her that an opening came up-"

"Wait you met up with my mother."

"No- this was at the hospital." He says. "She mustn't have anyone to talk to about you so maybe that's why she spoke to me... you were in pretty bad shape so the next day when I saw her, I mentioned a job opening and she thought it would be good for you."

I do not know what is more peculiar, the fact that my mother spoke to a stranger about my lack of employment or the fact that said stranger is looking for my employment.

I am so embarrassed that all I can do is laugh... a nervous, angry laugh. I look at the doctor with all the malice I can master and if it wasn't for Emma sitting right next to him, I would have cursed at him and hurled a plate at his head.

He goes from looking at me to looking at his watch, slapping the table, hugs Emma and walks towards the door without another word.

He turns when he gets to the door and speaks. "I will text you the information... think about Emma and besides it's the only job where you can work and have her besides you all the time."

With that I watch through the window as the gutsiest man I have ever seen jogs to his car, gets in and drives away.

How much had I missed when I was out at the hospital. I stand from my seat with a mission on my mind. I am going to question my mother on what she was thinking when she got Dr Foxwell involved in my business. How did they even go from talking about my health to job opportunities?

****

Exactly 4 and a half hours after leaving Michello's I am whisper-screaming down the phone at my mother because Emma is down for a nap.

"Mum what were you thinking." I cry. "Do you know how embarrassing it was for me to sit there and listen to that man?"

"Listen dear."

"No mum." I reply cutting her off. "How could you do this to me."

"Katie... listen- I am your mother and I know you well- well enough to know that you haven't been able to stop staring at Emma since you got home from the hospital- you blame yourself and you won't be able to get over it for a while. You need a job and that job he is speaking about is perfect."

"Mum-"

"No listen Katie... you need to work in order to take care of yourself and that baby."

"I know-"

"There is no harm in trying..."

As my mum speaks, I forget the fact that all this seems strange and I completely forget the fact that a stranger has miraculously come into our lives and overstepped his boundaries. I forget that such things never happen to ordinary people and most of all, I forget to ask my mother about the order of their conversation.

"Offers like this don't come easily dear." Mum says before calling my name and asking if I am listening.

"What is the job anyway." Is my reply.

"You might scrunch your nose at it but its not-"

"Mum?" I call growing anxious at the fact that she is stalling.

"The pay is also good and-"

"Mum."

"You'll be with Emma all day."

I do not interrupt her speech again. We fall into a silence then I hear a sigh come from her end.

"It's a housekeeping job." She says so quickly I almost don't catch it.

"A what?"

"You heard right dear... there's nothing else you can do."

"A house keeping job?"

Silence.

"MOTHER."

"Dammit Katie." She curses and I imagine her pulling the phone away from her ear. "You almost-"

"Mum I didn't study law to end up being a house keeper."

"How else are you going to earn money when you keep obsessing over Emma."

"There is a reason why I do and-"

"You either get that job or your dad and I cut you off."

"YOU WILL CUT ME OFF EITHER WAY MOTHER." I yell.

"Call me when you calm down Katie... that girl needs a responsible mother and you have refused to accept the reality.... I know Emma almost died..."

"Mum." I call, interrupting her so that she doesn't make me relive the worst day of my life. The day that makes that day a few days ago seem like a sunny day.

"I know you don't trust anyone honey but that nice man has offered you a job and you need to take it." She stops to catch her breath then continues. "Katie I know you hate taking money from us."

"Mum I."

"You always thought it was me who objected to giving it but I know you darling... your pride eats away at you every time we send it and that is why you need to do it for you."

There is a long silence that throws all sorts of thoughts in my head and after concluding that my mother is right, I say okay, defeated.

"Okay?"

"Okay Mum..." I repeat with a smile.

A chuckle follows silence from her end before she speaks and it swells my heart. "I love you honey."

I wait a while to speak and she takes this opportunity to continue her speech. "I am so proud of you... don't tell the kids but you make me the most proud." she chuckles and sighs as if she cannot believe we are here, and having this conversation. "I love you honey... I really do."

I feel my emotions well up my tears. I let them fall with the rest of the burden I had been carrying on my shoulders. I will finally have a job and be able to take care of us. Mum was right. I hated taking their money after all.

"Honey?" my mother's concerned voice calls. "Are you okay."

"I am now mum... I am finally proud of me too." I add with a smile.

xt thing he sayq�5܍�.