18. Look What You Made Me Do

Magsimula sa umpisa

Almost immediately after I said that, there was a distinct sound of a microphone being tapped and the dull, 'Testing, one two three', from our school principal, who looked as if he'd rather be anywhere but there.

"Come on," Ken said in a passable imitation of a whisper, steering me up towards the front of the hall. I noticed Anna had placed herself in the prime spot also, fussily readjusting the immaculate skirts of her babydoll pink dress. She caught sight of Ken and I, his hand still pressed against my back, and her mouth twisted into a cruel smirk. For a moment, I thought she was jealous of me, standing there with her very recently ex-boyfriend. Perhaps that was my greatest error - she'd dumped him, after all, and she was not the slightest bit jealous. She was merely trying to hide her anticipation of what was about to come.

I pretty much zoned out for half of the principal's dreary speech, but as the whispers in the hall faded away, I realised he must be about to say something important, so I focused back on him again. "And the prom king is... Ken," he announced in the same monotone fashion. There was an outburst of clapping, hollering and cheers as Ken strode up to receive the crown no-one had ever doubted would be his. Everyone died down again to hear who was prom queen, although I regarded the event with blatant disinterest. I already knew Anna would be the one to claim the crown, so why bother making a big drama out of it.

"And the prom queen is... Carrie." I barely heard the announcement, too lost in visions of the soft bed and box set binge that awaited my return. If I snuck out of here while everyone was preoccupied crowning Anna, I could maybe fit in three episodes of Grey's Anatomy before Mom came up to check I was asleep at midnight...

I was jerked out of my reverie by the crush of hands propelling me forwards, and this time I heard the principal say, "Carrie, please come on up." Stunned, I nearly tripped over the hem of my dress as I climbed up the steps. Why was I wanted on the stage? Had he figured out I sold the answers to the math quiz last week to one of the cheerleaders?

Instead of telling me off for one of my many crimes, instead he plunked the prom queen crown on my head, and the hall erupted into gleeful applause. Uncertainly, I touched the crown placed on my curls, still not quite understanding the situation. I had been elected prom queen, over all the girls in my year who would have made far more suitable candidates, over Anna herself. My name wasn't even on the ballots! I glanced down at Anna, worried she was about to climb onto the stage and deck me, but she was holding up a rose gold iPhone. "Move to the side, Carrie, I'll get a better shot!" Her voice carried to me clearly over the crowd, and I did as she asked, receiving a thumbs up in return.

Quite a lot of people now had their cameras out, which was pretty confusing. I didn't understand why people would want to take a picture of me, of all people. I didn't deserve the crown or the glory. Still, I had somehow won it, so I smiled, because if the moment was to be captured on camera, I at least wanted to look good.

And that was when it hit me.

Literally. Because someone up in the rafters had just dumped a huge bucket of red stuff all over me.

Everyone started shrieking with laughter, turning into a pack of overexcited hyenas. I stood there like a fool, wiping the sticky red substance off my face so I could see properly. I already had a fear of what it might be - I had heard of the movie, even though I'd never been tempted to watch it - and one look just confirmed it. I was drenched in pig's blood.

I could feel the tears coming now, and I didn't make an effort to keep them from falling. I was humiliated enough, and the simple fact of crying didn't seem to make any different to my immense embarrassment. Many phones were still pointed at me, including Anna's, who I already guessed had something to do with it all. Nervously, I glanced over at Ken, hoping against hope he'd also be standing there in shock, but luck was not on my side that night. Ken was doubled over in laughter, tears of a different kind trickling down his cheeks.