Let's get this over with

Dalton's POV

I arrived to the rodeo with Pa, ma and Sawyer. I met with one of the handlers, Charlie. He knew my style of horse I preferred and had one on hand for me.

My parents stayed close by as Sawyer went with me. I changed into my riding clothes, including leather chaps, along with leather gloves.

"Dalton, you don't have to do this," Sawyer said to me.

"Sawyer, it's not as simple as you think. James won't stop. I just want to get done with this and move on," I said shoving my foot into my boot. My dream turned into a nightmare of epic proportions. All I wanted to do was ride. All I got was problems.

Once I was suited up, I made my way to the stalls. People had already filled he arena as I got ready to mount the horse.

"I don't have a good feeling about this Pay," ma said.

"Me either darlin but we have to trust Dalton."

"Did we miss it," Cass said as her and Harper ran up.

"No, you made it just in time. Dalton's up next," Sawyer told them.

"How dangerous is this," Harper asked with furrowed brows.

"Extremely. One wrong move and riders can get killed," pa told her.

She looked at them and at the arena.

"Ready Dalt," Charlie asked me.

"Yeah," I said as I climbed up and mounted the horse as it bucked me. I wrapped the strap tight and held on with everything I had.

Next up, Dalton Fuller!

It's been a long time since we saw young Dalton ride. This is going to be one heck of a show folks!

I held tight and nodded quickly as they released the gate. The horse bucked me as it spun around. I held on with one hand as I held my hand in the air. As it bucked fast and hard, I held on as the clock counted down. Seven seconds is all I needed. Seven seconds was a long time for a rodeo rider.

**********
Harper's POV

I stood there, holding my breath as Dalton came out of the stall. The horse was wild but he held on tight. I watched as it spun around, bucking him extremely fast. My heart was beating out of my chest as he rode. Oh god.

Then the time buzzed and I heard Sawyer exclaimed, "holy hell! He's still going!"

We all stared in awe as Dalton stayed on and did the one thing I never imagined. He broke the horse as it stop bucking him and settled down.

"Is he suppose to do that," Sawyer asked Payton.

He smiled, "nope but that's my boy," he said bursting with pride.

I looked at Cass, "why would he break the horse?"

She looked at me, "to prove a point," she smiled.

I watched as Dalton walked the horse back to the gate and they closed the gate door.

Holy cow! That's a first in rodeo history! Not only did Dalton Fuller stay on longer that seven seconds but he broke the horse! Unbelievable.

James Hendricks is not going to be happy with this new development. He shore ain't.

******
Dalton's POV

As soon as they closed the gate I dismounted the horse and climbed down. My family made their way back to me and Harper ran to me. She jumped into my arms and I wrapped them around her.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" James yelled and we all turned.

"I think I just broke one of your horses," I told him.

"That wasn't the agreement," he barked.

"No, the agreement was to ride," I said facing him. "You never said anything about breaking a horse." I stared him down. I wasn't afraid of him anymore. "And expect me to break another. The thing you forget is my daddy taught me how to break horses. If I have to break every single one you have, then so be it."

He looked at me as I turned and started walking away until I heard a gun cocked. We turned around and James trained a gun on me. I pushed Harper behind me.

"Well, if you're going to try and ruin me, I'm going to take you out like the animal you are," he said in a cold tone. I looked at him as Pa stepped front and center.

"Then you're going to have to go through me. I refuse to allow my family to be hurt because of you," he challenged him.

"Then so be it," James said as he started to pull the trigger as he heard a gun cock behind him.

We looked to see Harper with a rifle pointed at the back of his head, "pull that trigger and I will lay you out here, with your brains splattered about."

"Let's be reasonable, shall we?"

"You're not going to hurt the father of my child," she said as my eyes widened and jaw dropped.

Pa looked at me, "uh Dalton, what is Harper talking about?"

I looked at him shocked.

"Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Your choice," Harper told him.

"It's over James." Ma told him. "Go back to New York."

"I would do as she says," pa told him.

Charlie and a few others were able to get the gun away from James and drag him out of there. Harper lowered the gun and I walked over to her. She looked at me sheepishly.

"Is it true? Are you expecting?"

"Yes."

"When did you find out," I asked her.

"Today. That's why Cass and I were late. I took a test. Dalton, I can do this on my own if you don't want to," she said but I cut her off but crashing my lips into hers.

As we kissed, pa took the gun from her as she wrapped her arms around me

Ma looked at pa, "darlin, don't even think about it."

"Congratulations grandpa," she giggled.

"Same to you granny," he said as he pulled her to him.

I let go of her, "you're not mad," she asked me.

"A bit shocked but you're home. Come on," I said wrapping my arm around her and walking out. Today my rodeo days officially ended. I had a family to think about and I was going to do this properly with her.

Harper Lang was going to be Mrs. Dalton Fuller if I had my way about it. I loved her and I was going to marry her. Plus, she still had to finish high school. Being Tacoma Falls, there was no way I would allow her to be a source of gossip because we shared our love.

We had a lot to do before the little one arrived. Good thing I had money saved.